how to put userid into http header

engineur

Hi

We have the following architecture:

explorer -> IIS -> Tomcat

We have isapi redirector running on IIS which puts
the userid into the HTTP request header as follows:

s->headers_in->put( env, s->headers_in,
"userid", s->remote_user, NULL);

I would like to simplify the architecture such that
we didn't need IIS. ie

explorer -> Tomcat

In this configuration how could we put the userid into the request?

Rgds

Robert Klemme

engineur said:
Hi

We have the following architecture:

explorer -> IIS -> Tomcat

We have isapi redirector running on IIS which puts
the userid into the HTTP request header as follows:

s->headers_in->put( env, s->headers_in,
"userid", s->remote_user, NULL);

I would like to simplify the architecture such that
we didn't need IIS. ie

explorer -> Tomcat

In this configuration how could we put the userid into the request?

It depends where you get it from. Typically a web application employs
some kind of authentication. You could then simply store the UID in the
session. Alternatively you could use a session cookie of your own that
stores it on the client side and which is transferred with every request.
It really depends...

Kind regards

robert

Kristofer Gafvert [MVP]

Hi,

Well, you will not use IIS to put the userid into the request, since it is
no longer involved.

I suppose that whatever you use to authenticate the user must do this.

engineur

We use Microsoft Active directory running on a windows machine to
authenticate.

We authenticate directly against it.

However we obtain the userid in the request which is populated by IIS.

Is it being suggested that in the absence of a userid we can
authenticate and obtain the userid?