How to quit a Windows GUI program gracefully with Python under Cygwin?

Discussion in 'Python' started by KB, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. KB

    KB Guest

    Hi,

    I want to write a Python script that controls and automates a Windows
    GUI computation program.

    My problem is that I do not know how to quit the Windows GUI program
    gracefully with a command (program's or Python) in Cygwin. 'kill' or
    CTRL-C command in Cygwin does not finish it gracefully, meaning that
    some outputs do not come out normally. The only thing I know is to
    click 'File-Exit' menu, but
    this requires a manual intervention that prevents scripting.

    Is there a way to quit a Windows GUI program gracefully with Python
    under Cygwin, of course, after the program finishes
    normal execution?

    Thanks,

    KB
    KB, Aug 11, 2005

  2. KB

    ina Guest

    Send the active program an alt-f4. I do this through shell.send keys.
    Hope this was of help.

    ina, Aug 11, 2005

  3. KB

    KB Guest

    Thanks.

    After I confirmed 'Alt-F4' would terminate and close a win32
    application running independently,
    I installed 'SendKeys' module and tested with the following code under
    both Cygwin and Python Windows

    import os, SendKeys
    os.system('program datafile')
    SendKeys.SendKeys("""
    {PAUSE 0.25}
    %{F4}
    """)

    What happened was that the 'program' ran correctly, but it stayed, not
    closing the window
    under Cygwin and Python Windows. So it seems to me that this does not
    work.

    One more thing: How do I control the pause time if I do not know the
    execution
    time of an application?

    Thanks in advance.

    KB
    KB, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Re: How to quit a Windows GUI program gracefully with Python underCygwin?

    On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 03:07:02AM -0700, KB wrote:
    > After I confirmed 'Alt-F4' would terminate and close a win32
    > application running independently,
    > I installed 'SendKeys' module and tested with the following code under
    > both Cygwin and Python Windows

    If you installed the SendKeys binary, then it will not work with Cygwin
    Python since it is a Windows Python shared extension module. It may be
    possible to port SendKeys to Cygwin. Unfortunately, this may not solve
    your problem... :,(

    Jason

    Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6
    Jason Tishler, Aug 12, 2005
  5. KB

    KB Guest

    Of course, I downloaded the source of 'SendKeys' and installed it under
    both Cygwin and Python Windows with

    $ python setup.py install

    although this did not help me.

    KB