How to read a charecters from and image?

rails and rails only

hi,

How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
from that given image.

Please help me to solve this issue...

jose javier parra sanchez

I do not see the relation with ruby, anyway, you need an OCR app or
library. Most are simple toys that don't work. Unless the text is of
good quality with a white background most fail.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

rails and rails only said:
How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
from that given image.

Please help me to solve this issue...

Basically, you have two situations.

1- the characters in the image are generated from an identified computer font.

You can then easily try to match each character in the font, pixel per pixel.

2- otherwise, you will have to use some OCR algorithm to recognize the
character. Something that works well enough if there's noise is
neural-networks.

Eleanor McHugh

****, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
how to
crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

Robert Dober

So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely to
solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.
It is however trivial compared to the task of keeping living languages
from degradation :(

Robert

Clifford Heath

Eleanor said:
So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

Clifford Heath.

Robert Dober

No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.
which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)
Robert

--
There are some people who begin the Zoo at the beginning, called
WAYIN, and walk as quickly as they can past every cage until they get

F. Senault

Le 13 mars à 11:16, Robert Dober a écrit :
which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)

It's automated. A porn site shows the captcha to access its pages, the
unsuspecting user posts the answer to get his smut, and a spambot behind
sends the answer to the original captcha, and posts its spam message in
the comments of the blog or registers its new email account to use in
spamming.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023_3-5207290.html

This being said, we're way off topic, here.

Fred

Robert Dober

Le 13 mars =E0 11:16, Robert Dober a =E9crit :

This being said, we're way off topic, here.
Sure but I think this was valuable information for na=EFve folks like me, t=
hanx!
--=20
There are some people who begin the Zoo at the beginning, called
WAYIN, and walk as quickly as they can past every cage until they get
to the one called WAYOUT, but the nicest people go straight to the
animal they love the most, and stay there. ~ A.A. Milne (from
Winnie-the-Pooh)

Eleanor McHugh

No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

The weak-point in any security scheme is always human - but I think
that's the best use of the principle I've seen in a long time ;)