    How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
    from that given image.

    Please help me to solve this issue...
    rails and rails only, Mar 12, 2009

  2. I do not see the relation with ruby, anyway, you need an OCR app or
    library. Most are simple toys that don't work. Unless the text is of
    good quality with a white background most fail.

    2009/3/12 rails and rails only <>:

    > hi,
    >
    > =A0 =A0 =A0 How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphab=

    ets

    jose javier parra sanchez, Mar 12, 2009

  3. rails and rails only <> writes:
    > How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
    > from that given image.
    >
    > Please help me to solve this issue...

    Basically, you have two situations.

    1- the characters in the image are generated from an identified computer font.

    You can then easily try to match each character in the font, pixel per pixel.

    2- otherwise, you will have to use some OCR algorithm to recognize the
    character. Something that works well enough if there's noise is
    neural-networks.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Mar 12, 2009

    Stop that! He's probably looking to crack CAPTCHAs.

    On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <

    --
    http://www.home.no/reddvinylene
    Redd Vinylene, Mar 12, 2009
  5. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    ****, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles how to
    crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

    Redd Vinylene, Mar 12, 2009
  6. rails and rails only, Mar 12, 2009
  7. On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd Vinylene wrote:
    > ****, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
    > how to
    > crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

    So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
    to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

    Ellie

    Eleanor McHugh
    Games With Brains
    http://slides.games-with-brains.net
    ----
    Eleanor McHugh, Mar 12, 2009
  8. rails and rails only

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Eleanor McHugh
    <> wrote:
    > On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd Vinylene wrote:
    >>
    >> ****, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles how
    >> crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

    > So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely to
    > solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

    It is however trivial compared to the task of keeping living languages
    from degradation :(

    Robert
    Robert Dober, Mar 12, 2009
  9. On 12 Mar 2009, at 13:17, Robert Dober wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Eleanor McHugh
    > <> wrote:
    >> On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd Vinylene wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ****, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie
    >>> Googles how
    >>> crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

    >> So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is
    >> likely to
    >> solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.
    >>

    > It is however trivial compared to the task of keeping living languages
    > from degradation :(

    All your language are belong to us >;p

    Eleanor McHugh, Mar 12, 2009
  10. Eleanor McHugh wrote:
    > On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd Vinylene wrote:
    >> now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
    >> how to crack CAPTCHAs.

    > So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
    > to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

    No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
    and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
    to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

    Clifford Heath.
    Clifford Heath, Mar 12, 2009
  11. rails and rails only

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Clifford Heath <> wrote:

    > No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
    > and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
    > to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

    which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)
    Robert

    --
    There are some people who begin the Zoo at the beginning, called
    WAYIN, and walk as quickly as they can past every cage until they get
    Robert Dober, Mar 13, 2009
  12. rails and rails only

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 13 mars à 11:16, Robert Dober a écrit :

    > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Clifford Heath <> wrote:
    >>
    >> No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
    >> and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
    >> to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

    > which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)

    It's automated. A porn site shows the captcha to access its pages, the
    unsuspecting user posts the answer to get his smut, and a spambot behind
    sends the answer to the original captcha, and posts its spam message in
    the comments of the blog or registers its new email account to use in
    spamming.

    http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023_3-5207290.html

    This being said, we're way off topic, here.

    Fred
    --
    Note to self : "shoot first, ask questions later" does not work when
    armed with a fully automatic submachine gun.
    F. Senault, Mar 13, 2009
  13. rails and rails only

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM, F. Senault <> wrote:
    > Le 13 mars =E0 11:16, Robert Dober a =E9crit :
    >
    > This being said, we're way off topic, here.

    Sure but I think this was valuable information for na=EFve folks like me, t=
    hanx!
    --=20
    Robert Dober, Mar 13, 2009
  14. On 12 Mar 2009, at 23:02, Clifford Heath wrote:
    > Eleanor McHugh wrote:
    >> On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd Vinylene wrote:
    >>> now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
    >>> how to crack CAPTCHAs.

    >> So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is
    >> likely to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another
    >> language.

    > No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
    > and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
    > to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

    The weak-point in any security scheme is always human - but I think
    that's the best use of the principle I've seen in a long time ;)

    Eleanor McHugh, Mar 13, 2009
  15. On 13 Mar 2009, at 15:37, Jeff Schwab wrote:
    > Eleanor McHugh wrote:
    >
    >> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

    > Argument doesn't help. I know, I've tried. :)

    That's when it's time for a hard re-boot ;)

    Eleanor McHugh, Mar 13, 2009