How to read calendar info from Exchange using Java (any open source?)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Heckner, Mar 20, 2007.

  1. Heckner

    Heckner Guest

    Hi,

    I just browsed the newsgroup for the above topice and didn't find a
    good solution.

    J-Integra seems to be a product capable of integrating with Exchange
    via a Java API, but involves extra licenses
    CDO and MAPI seems a way using JNI-based calls to the DLL of microsoft
    (seems the best fit right now).

    Are there any other alternatives (besides CFMX7?)
    Any open source Java API for integrating with Exchange?

    I need to read calendar info and write tasks into the calendar of
    various users.

    Thanks for any help
    Hannes

    Heckner, Mar 20, 2007

  2. Re: How to read calendar info from Exchange using Java (any opensource?)

    Heckner wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just browsed the newsgroup for the above topice and didn't find a
    > good solution.
    >
    > J-Integra seems to be a product capable of integrating with Exchange
    > via a Java API, but involves extra licenses
    > CDO and MAPI seems a way using JNI-based calls to the DLL of microsoft
    > (seems the best fit right now).
    >
    > Are there any other alternatives (besides CFMX7?)
    > Any open source Java API for integrating with Exchange?
    >
    > I need to read calendar info and write tasks into the calendar of
    > various users.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Hannes

    Exchange, like almost all of Microsoft's products, uses closed
    specifications. Therefore, all open source products have to
    reverse-engineer the communication protocol. Try googling, but don't
    expect too much.

    Joshua Cranmer, Mar 20, 2007

  3. Heckner

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Heckner wrote:

    > J-Integra seems to be a product capable of integrating with Exchange
    > via a Java API, but involves extra licenses

    Presumably any Java<->COM bridge would be able to talk to Exchange usingf MS's
    COM or Axtive/X APIs. I don't know whether you'd need two way communication
    (there might be COM events you'd want to listen for -- I dunno). I'm not
    convinced by the requirement for "open source" software (if you are using
    Exchange at all then there is presumably money around to pay for licenses....),
    but there are open source COM interfaces for Java.

    Some names I turned up a few days ago when I was looking at COM/Java stuff:

    com4j
    http://com4j.dev.java.net/
    ComfyJ
    http://www.teamdev.com/comfyj/index.jsf