    Is it possible to write & read standard password encrypted ZIP files
    easily (using zipfile.ZipFile?)

    Robert
    Robert, Apr 12, 2004

  2. > Is it possible to write & read standard password encrypted ZIP files
    > easily (using zipfile.ZipFile?)

    It may be supported via some undocumented method.

    One thing you should be aware of, is that ZIP files have a known
    cryptographic attack for >= 3 files encrypted with the same password in
    a zip file. When there are more than 3 files in a zip file, all
    encrypted with the same password, only 15 bits of the password is
    required to decrypt the archive, then (I believe) recover the original
    password.

    Generally, you would be better off using Python to create the original
    archive (without encryption), then use some encryption method to secure
    it. I hear that mxCrypto is a very spiffy library for Python cryptography.

    - Josiah
    Josiah Carlson, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    > > Is it possible to write & read standard password encrypted ZIP files
    > > easily (using zipfile.ZipFile?)

    > It may be supported via some undocumented method.

    any more information on that?

    > One thing you should be aware of, is that ZIP files have a known
    > cryptographic attack for >= 3 files encrypted with the same password in
    > a zip file. When there are more than 3 files in a zip file, all
    > encrypted with the same password, only 15 bits of the password is
    > required to decrypt the archive, then (I believe) recover the original
    > password.
    >
    > Generally, you would be better off using Python to create the original
    > archive (without encryption), then use some encryption method to secure
    > it. I hear that mxCrypto is a very spiffy library for Python cryptography.

    is there a secure encrypted format, that could be read also by common
    tools like WinZIP, WinRAR ?

    Robert
    Robert, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Robert

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (Robert) writes:
    > is there a secure encrypted format, that could be read also by common
    > tools like WinZIP, WinRAR ?

    There's a proposal for better encryption in zip files, but I don't
    think it's widely supported yet.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 13, 2004