How to reduce your electricity bill

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    How to reduce your electricity bill

    If you have been bogged by the enormous electricity bills you have
    been getting, it is time to take some concrete steps. You can reduce
    your electricity bills by following very simple steps.

    This article will list some simple, easy-to-do things to reduce your
    electricity bill.

    Limited use: Start with the room you are sitting in. If you were to
    take a call in another room or join your family at the dining table,
    would you just step out of your room without any concern for the
    electrical appliances in the room? If you would, stop right there, and
    look around. Switch off all the appliances even if you would be back
    in five minutes. Yes, even that will help. Every drop of water
    constitutes to the ocean.

    Another thing to take care of here is what you perceive as an
    electronic appliance. Would you switch off the television set, turn
    off the fan, but not the light bulb? Yes, you need light, but not now
    when you are leaving the room. Taking care of these small things will
    go a long way in reducing the dreaded huge electricity bills.

    Smart investments: Make some smart power investments by replacing your
    incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. These
    bulbs are a great power-saving investment.

    Buy the Power Save gadget. The gadget helps monitor the power supply
    to your house and uses the minimum that is needed.

    Home appliance usage: Most of us complain that the electricity bill
    touches the sky because of the number of electrical appliances they
    have at home. However, the electricity bill is not directly
    proportional to the number of gadgets you use but the way you use
    them. Let’s see how you can avoid the typical power-wasters.

    • Use the washing machine only when there is a full load of clothes.
    • Keep the geyser on for the minimal amount of time.
    • Keep the air-conditioner at the minimum low or high temperature,
    just enough to keep you off the heat or the cold outside.
    • Switch off the computer monitor even when you take a one-minute
    break. It takes just a second to switch on the monitor again!

    Yeah, you have to stick to this way of life for saving power at home
    and for the world.

    Remember, reducing your electricity bill is equivalent to saving
    power, thus helping the world save power for its future generations.

    Make power at home with solar and wind energy to eliminate your power
    bill. Get our complete guide at www.earth4energy.1sta.com
    John, Feb 11, 2009

  2. On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM, John <> wrote:
    > How to reduce your electricity bill

    [snip]

    > Limited use: Start with the room you are sitting in. If you were to
    > take a call in another room or join your family at the dining table,
    > would you just step out of your room without any concern for the
    > electrical appliances in the room? If you would, stop right there, and
    > look around. Switch off all the appliances even if you would be back
    > in five minutes. Yes, even that will help. Every drop of water
    > constitutes to the ocean.

    I wrote a simple Ruby script to shut down all the appliances in my
    computer room when I hit "CTL-ALT-PageDown". Does that help?

    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Feb 11, 2009