    the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
    manually refresh that page and how??

    Pascal
    Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

    Mitja Guest

    "Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am showing a page where settings can be done. After pressing the submit
    > button I do show another page with the positive message that the settings
    > have been saved. I also display a "Back"-button. When this one is pressed
    > the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
    > manually refresh that page and how??
    >
    > Pascal

    Determining in which situation to refresh can be problematic here, not to
    mention that auto-refreshing is highly unadvisable.

    Try including a HTTP header (if you can configure the server, say Apache) or
    a <META> tag that tell your browser not to cache the pages; this way, a
    fresh version of the page will always be fetched off the server. Google for
    for "http expiration" and/or "pragma no-cache".

    Mitja
    Mitja, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar wrote:

    > I also display a "Back"-button. When this one is pressed
    > the previous page is shown but unfortunately with the old settings. Can I
    > manually refresh that page and how??

    You're fixing the wrong problem.

    Your problem is that the page with the settings form on it is being
    cached. Send a few extra HTTP headers to the browser to request that it
    doesn't cache the page.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:c5h8dh$hc0$03$-online.com>
    "Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <> said:

    > I am showing a page where settings can be done.

    ok

    > After pressing the submit button I do show another page with the
    > positive message that the settings have been saved.

    great

    > I also display a "Back"-button.

    why and what is wrong with the browsers back button?

    > When this one is pressed the previous page is shown

    makes sense

    > but unfortunately with the old settings.

    why is this unfortunate? what if the visitor changes their mind and
    wants to only change one option and save again. its not nice making them
    make all the selections again.

    if you mean the options have not taken effect on the old page then this
    is normal behavior and obvious to everyone except the most shiny new
    newbie but even they should be able to understand <p>hit refresh to
    enable new settings</p>.

    > Can I manually refresh that page and how??

    i think you're trying to fix the wrong problem or fix a problem that
    doesn't exist.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:c5hamt$k4k$>
    "Mitja" <> said:

    > Try including a HTTP header (if you can configure the server, say Apache) or
    > a <META> tag that tell your browser not to cache the pages;

    cache directives are easily ignored. they're not something to be relied
    upon.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Hi there,

    my page has this code but unfortunately, the page is not refreshed when it
    is called....

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Meldung</TITLE><meta http-equiv="cache-control"
    content="no-cache">
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <form method="POST"
    action="/myisapi/WebFragebogen.dll/AktiviereFragebogen"><document.reload()><
    Bitte laden Sie den Browser neu, damit etwaige Änderungen aktualisiert
    type="submit" value="Fragebogen aktivieren" name="bSubmit"></p></form>

    Pascal
    Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar, Apr 14, 2004
  7. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

    Kris Guest

    In article <c5j3tp$kmt$04$-online.com>,
    "Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <> wrote:

    > Hi there

    Who are you replying to? You have "Re: " in the subject line.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > my page has this code but unfortunately, the page is not refreshed
    > when it is called....
    >
    > <HTML>
    > <HEAD>
    > <TITLE>Meldung</TITLE><meta http-equiv="cache-control"
    > content="no-cache">
    > </HEAD>
    > <BODY>
    > <form method="POST"

    action="/myisapi/WebFragebogen.dll/AktiviereFragebogen"><document.reload
    ()><
    > p><b>Willkommen im Konfigurationsprogramm für den

    <cut />

    Is your question about the meta tag or the <document.reload()> tag or
    both?

    <document.reload()> is not a valid HTML tag. If you really wanted to do
    that you'd write

    <script type="text/javascript">
    location.reload();
    </script>
    <noscript>
    </noscript>

    and then you could enjoy the reload infinite loop in all it's glory,
    whilst providing the same functionality for no javascript users if they
    so wish ;-)

    http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_17
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - FAQ: www.html-faq.com/
    Andrew Urquhart, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Kris,

    I do see "Re: how to refresh browser automaticall" in my field??

    Pascal
    Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar, Apr 14, 2004
  10. Andrew, I am referring to the <meta http-equiv="cache-control">. This does
    not work. Whenever this page is shown, it does not refresh automatically...

    Pascal
    Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar, Apr 14, 2004
  11. Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar

    Kris Guest

    In article <c5j66n$r3u$00$-online.com>,
    "Pascal Schmidt-Volkmar" <> wrote:

    > I do see "Re: how to refresh browser automaticall" in my field??

    Start here:
    <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post>
    <http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/good-newgroup.html>

    --