How to replace SSIs

LilC

Hello,
We are incorporating a new .NET application into an existing ASP
application. We currently make heavy use of server side includes to
incorporate the branding for specific customers. These includes contain
variables and such that are then repeatedly used throughout the
remaining ASP pages. Customers are in control of their branding and as
they make changes, we re-write the include file. We need to keep this
functionality.

I've create a .NET application and I need to be able to incorporate
these server side includes into my .NET pages as well, so that I can
use the variables defined in the includes within my .NET pages. How can
I do this? I have simply included the files like normal but the server
side include is read and processed after the .NET page load function
has run.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruno Alexandre

SSI were replaced by MasterPages

check the use of MasterPages so you can know what you want to do.

LilC

Yes but the master page would need to have different code for each
customer and we'd prefer to not have to make a database call within the
master page (which would be on every page) in order to get that
customer's branding code. The server side includes contain the HTML
that the customer has specified for their branding so it's faster to
just include that file. But I need to be able to access the variables
that are defined within that include.

Alan Silver

LilC said:
Yes but the master page would need to have different code for each
customer and we'd prefer to not have to make a database call within the
master page (which would be on every page) in order to get that
customer's branding code. The server side includes contain the HTML
that the customer has specified for their branding so it's faster to
just include that file. But I need to be able to access the variables
that are defined within that include.

Depends on how much variation there is between your cusomters' HTML and
code. If the code and variables are all the same, but the presentational
aspect of the HTML is different, then you could look at using themes.
Coupled will a good implementation of CSS-based layout and skins, this
would enable you to have one master page for everyone, and just
implement a different theme for each customer.

If you don't think this will give enough possibility for visual
variation, look at www.csszengarden.com and see how much it is possible
to change the visual display with CSS alone. Once you factor in skins as
well, you have a lot of power.

HTH