How to request data from a lazily-created tree structure ?

méchoui

Problem:

- You have tree structure (XML-like) that you don't want to create
100% in memory, because it just takes too long (for instance, you need
a http request to request the information from a slow distant site).
- But you want to be able to request data from it, such has "give me
all nodes that are under a "//foo/bar" tree, and have a child with an
"baz" attribute of value "zzz".

Question :

Do you have any other idea to request data from a lazily-created tree
structure ?

And does it make sense to create a DOM-like structure and to use a
generic XPath engine to request the tree ? (and does this generic
XPath engine exist ?)

The idea is to have the tree structure created on the fly (we are in
python), only when the XPath engine requests the data. Hopefully the
XPath engine will not request all the data from the tree (if the
request is smart enough and does not contain **, for instance).

Thanks

Diez B. Roggisch

méchoui said:
[...]

Generic XPath works only with a DOM(like) structure. How else would you
e.g. evaluate an expression like foo[last()]?

So if you really need lazy evaluation, you will need to specifically
analyze the query of interest and see if it can be coded in a way that
allows to forget as much of the tree as possible, or even better not
query it.

Diez

méchoui

méchoui schrieb:

[...]

Yes, I need to make sure my requests are properly written so that the
generic XPath engine does not need all the structure in memory.

There are quite a few cases where you really don't need to load
everything at all. /a/b/*/c/d is an example. But even with an example
like /x/z[last()]/t, you don't need to load everything under the
every /x/z nodes. You just need to check for the latest one, and make
sure there is a t node under it.

Anyway, if I need to make requests that need all the data... that
means that the need for lazy instantiation of nodes disappears,
right ?

Diez B. Roggisch

Yes, I need to make sure my requests are properly written so that the
generic XPath engine does not need all the structure in memory.

There are quite a few cases where you really don't need to load
everything at all. /a/b/*/c/d is an example. But even with an example
like /x/z[last()]/t, you don't need to load everything under the
every /x/z nodes. You just need to check for the latest one, and make
sure there is a t node under it.

Anyway, if I need to make requests that need all the data... that
means that the need for lazy instantiation of nodes disappears,
right ?

Yes. And unless you have memory-constraints I have to admit that I
really doubt that the parsing overhead isn't by far exceeded by the
network latency.

Diez

méchoui

Yes, I need to make sure my requests are properly written so that the
generic XPath engine does not need all the structure in memory.
There are quite a few cases where you really don't need to load
everything at all. /a/b/*/c/d is an example. But even with an example
like /x/z[last()]/t, you don't need to load everything under the
every /x/z nodes. You just need to check for the latest one, and make
sure there is a t node under it.
Anyway, if I need to make requests that need all the data... that
means that the need for lazy instantiation of nodes disappears,
right ?

Yes. And unless you have memory-constraints I have to admit that I
really doubt that the parsing overhead isn't by far exceeded by the
network latency.

Diez

Do you know if there is such XPath engine that can be applied to a DOM-
like structure ?

One way would be to take an XPath engine from an existing XML engine
(ElementTree, or any other), and see what APIs it calls... and see if
we cannot create a DOM-like structure that has the same API. Duck
typing, really...

Diez B. Roggisch

Do you know if there is such XPath engine that can be applied to a DOM-
like structure ?

No. But I toyed with the idea to write one :)
One way would be to take an XPath engine from an existing XML engine
(ElementTree, or any other), and see what APIs it calls... and see if
we cannot create a DOM-like structure that has the same API. Duck
typing, really...

Why can't you create a *real* DOM?

Diez

méchoui

No. But I toyed with the idea to write one :)

Why can't you create a *real* DOM?

Diez

I don't know what "real" means, in fact. In python, being a "real" sg
is all about having the same interface, right? May be I did not
undertand what you meant.

I cannot load all the data in memory before I request it, because it
would take too long. If using XPath-like tools requires that I load
the data in memory, I'd better create my own algorithm instead. It
will be much faster.

What I mean it: if I have a XPath engine that works well on a specific
DOM-like structure... may be I can create my own DOM-lile structure to
fool the XPath engine; so that I can use it on my own structure.

méchoui

[...]

I have something that works. http://lauploix.blogspot.com/2008/07/xpath-for-my-trees.html
It has the pro and cons of the ElementTree 1.3 XPath engine, but it
works quite nice.

Laurent Ploix