How to rescue data on a hard disk?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by King W.Wang, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. King W.Wang

    King W.Wang Guest

    Hi all,
    I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
    in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
    I want to rescue the data in these folders.
    The hard disk with NTFS is connected to the PC through USB. Since
    the deletion I've made no writing on this disk.
    I can imagine that the data can be rescued, at least a part of them.
    A program which does the similar job as CHKDSK in DOS should help me:
    The program should read the master file table, save the deleted short
    files on another hard disk, and read the addresses (sector, track etc.)
    of all files. Then the program should read all other sectors and save
    the contents, if they are not empty, on another medium, each sector
    being saved in a separate file. And these files can be checked manually
    if they should be saved or concatenated with other files.
    Is there a free utilities in the web to do this job? Or is there a
    similar program with source code, so that I can adapt it to meet my
    need? The source should be in C, for I don't know assembly language.
    Many thanks!

    Weichao Wang

    King W.Wang, Dec 17, 2004

  2. King W.Wang

    pete Guest

    [ot]Re: How to rescue data on a hard disk?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=undelete

    --
    pete

    pete, Dec 17, 2004

  3. On 17 Dec 2004 05:58:40 -0800, (King W.Wang) wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
    >in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
    >I want to rescue the data in these folders.

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (for information on how to directly
    access the disk.)

    You also need to get hold of the NTFS specification. You have to contact
    Microsoft for that, or find a website that describes it.

    Raymond Martineau, Dec 17, 2004
  4. (Raymond Martineau) writes:
    > On 17 Dec 2004 05:58:40 -0800, (King W.Wang) wrote:
    >>Hi all,
    >>I've deleted 2 folders and emptied the trash bin on a hard disk
    >>in Windows XP. And then I found that I've no back-up of these folders.
    >>I want to rescue the data in these folders.

    > comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (for information on how to directly
    > access the disk.)
    >
    > You also need to get hold of the NTFS specification. You have to contact
    > Microsoft for that, or find a website that describes it.

    I think the OP is more interested in retrieving the information than
    in knowing the low-level details of how to do it. There are probably
    plenty of existing tools to do this.

    None of them, of course, are topical in comp.lang.c.

    Keith Thompson, Dec 17, 2004