How to retrieve values of dynamically added web controls on the form??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Aruna Bajpayee, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Hi,
    I have created a survey form in asp.net that has dynamically generated
    fields( based on the record that I get from the DB I adding a text box
    or a dropdown to the form). My problem is, how do I get the values of
    the text box or dropdown list to save in the DB after user has filled
    the survey?

    I have used the following code in my Page_Load sub:

    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Dim conn As New
    SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("connectionstring"))
    Dim cmd As New SqlCommand()
    cmd.CommandText = "SELECT b.ftext as ftext, a.ftid as ftid FROM
    pagedetail a INNER JOIN fieldtext b ON a.fid = b.fid "
    cmd.Connection = conn
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    Dim dr As SqlDataReader
    conn.Open()
    dr = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
    Do While dr.Read()'for each record print the label and look in
    the field type table to see which field to add to the form.
    Dim Label As New Label()
    Dim labeltext As String
    labeltext = dr(0)
    Label.Text = labeltext
    ph.Controls.Add(Label)
    Dim conn1 As New
    SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("connectionstring"))
    Dim cmd1 As New SqlCommand()
    Dim newvalue As String
    cmd1.CommandText = "SELECT ftype from fieldtype where fid="
    & dr(1)
    cmd1.Connection = conn1
    cmd1.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    conn1.Open()
    newvalue = cmd1.ExecuteScalar
    If newvalue = "text" Then 'add a text box
    Dim tb As New TextBox()
    placeholder.Controls.Add(tb)
    ElseIf newvalue = "dropdown" Then
    Dim dd As New dropdownlist()
    placeholder.controls.add(dd)
    End If
    Loop

    *****this is where I am stuck************
    Dim el As Control
    For Each el In Controls
    Dim controltype As String
    controltype = el.ToString()
    If controltype = "System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm" Then
    I NEED THE VALUE OF THE TEXT BOX OR THE DROPDOWN LIST.
    End If

    Next
    End Sub

    *******************
    I would really appreciate if anyone can help me on this.....

    Aruna Bajpayee, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Aruna Bajpayee

    Neo Guest

    Hi,
    You can use findcontrol method to get the control and then retrieve its
    value.
    like: ph.findcontrol(controlid).
    So when you add the control to controls, give every control an ID.

    hope it helpful.

    --
    Juno
    MCSD.NET, MCDBA, MCSE