    this with applet alone or use servlets. If we can do this using
    servlets, how can i retrieve the folder structure and send it to the
    applet which will be the user interface?
    bala, Dec 18, 2004

  2. bala

    Dag Sunde Guest

    "bala" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have to retrieve the directory structure on the server and display it
    > to the user. Once the user selects a folder from the tree, the files
    > have to load on a different pane. Of course the folder structure could
    > change on the server if any folder or file is added. In short, i have
    > to get something like the windows file explorer. Is it possible to do
    > this with applet alone or use servlets. If we can do this using
    > servlets, how can i retrieve the folder structure and send it to the
    > applet which will be the user interface?

    * A servlet on the server that takes a root-foldername as input, scans,
    and build a (ie. xml) string representing the folder-structure.
    * In the Applet, a method that executes an HTTP POST to the servlet.
    When the returned string response are available, parse it, and
    build a three in the applet.

    Of course, this will be "pull", and will not automatically detect
    changes in the servers forlder-structure.

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, Dec 18, 2004

  3. bala

    Big Jim Guest

    "Dag Sunde" <> wrote in message
    > "bala" <> wrote in message
    > > I have to retrieve the directory structure on the server and display it
    > > to the user. Once the user selects a folder from the tree, the files
    > > have to load on a different pane. Of course the folder structure could
    > > change on the server if any folder or file is added. In short, i have
    > > to get something like the windows file explorer. Is it possible to do
    > > this with applet alone or use servlets. If we can do this using
    > > servlets, how can i retrieve the folder structure and send it to the
    > > applet which will be the user interface?

    > * A servlet on the server that takes a root-foldername as input, scans,
    > and build a (ie. xml) string representing the folder-structure.
    > * In the Applet, a method that executes an HTTP POST to the servlet.
    > When the returned string response are available, parse it, and
    > build a three in the applet.
    >
    > Of course, this will be "pull", and will not automatically detect
    > changes in the servers forlder-structure.
    >
    > --
    > Dag.

    Would it be possible in this case to allow the applet to "register" itself
    with the server and provide an update method that the server will call via
    rmi when it's updated as in the Observer patteren? I'm wondering if this is
    possible with respect to security restrictions?
    Big Jim, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Re: How to retrive the folder structure on the server and displayon an applet on the client side.

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:58:29 GMT
    "Big Jim" <> wrote:

    > Would it be possible in this case to allow the applet to "register"
    > itself with the server and provide an update method that the server
    > will call via rmi when it's updated as in the Observer patteren? I'm
    > wondering if this is possible with respect to security restrictions?

    I am not sure about the RMI part, but in principle it is possible. If
    RMI is not available, just use another protocol.

    --
    In pioneer days they used oxen for heavy pulling, and when one ox
    couldn't budge a log, they didn't try to grow a larger ox. We shouldn't
    Stefan Schulz, Dec 18, 2004