how to return web service calls via a different network route?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bob, May 4, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I'm implementing a file transfer application to transfer confidential files
    from our corporate intranet to our web server in the DMZ. I was able to use
    WSE 1.0 DIME attachment for this without problem. The WS client is
    installed on a server on the intranet, and it calls the WS server on the DMZ
    to send files. All is well in development until this is moved into
    production. It turned out that we have strict security policies and traffic
    can go only in one direction from the intranet to the DMZ but not back, even
    on port 443. Since the default WS implementation in ASP.NET uses
    HTTP/HTTPS, the HTTP response can't go back to the client so the client
    always thinks it failed. Is there a way to do a "fire-and-forget" call, so
    the client won't anticipate a resonse? Or getting the response using a
    different protocol such as SMTP so the client would receive an email? The
    response doesn't contain any real confidential data so it can go to the
    internet and come back if has to.

    Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.

    Thanks
    Bob
    Bob, May 4, 2004