    how??

    Thanks
    Bharat

    Bharat, Sep 5, 2006

  2. Bharat wrote:

    > I have one web service ,which interacts with database and creates one
    > .xml file, now I want to pass this file to client...
    >
    > can I return this file from web service to client....if yes plz tell me
    > how??

    The web service is the 'passive' part and the client the 'active' part.
    This means, your service only responds to incoming requests from
    clients that build up a connection with the service. The answer of the
    server depends on the client's question. The service is a so-called
    'daemon', that is, a programme that is listening at the server on a
    specified port to incoming requests.

    This stuff is typically done using socket communication. But I've also
    seen web services over plain http, ftp or even by automated e-mail
    processing. Plain http/ftp is simple: just place you XML file in a
    fixed location and then point the client to that location with a GET
    request.

    There is support in most languages. I've seen examples in Perl, Java,
    VB, C++... PHP's socket communication is still beta, so I heard. Pick
    your favourite API language and study its documentation on how web
    service requests are done there.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Bart