How to round trip python and sqlite dates

Mark Lawrence

All the references regarding the subject that I can find, e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1829872/read-datetime-back-from-sqlite-as-a-datetime-in-python,
talk about creating a table in memory using the timestamp type from the
Python layer. I can't see how to use that for a file on disk, so after
a bit of RTFM I came up with this.

import sqlite3
from datetime import datetime, date

def datetime2date(datetimestr):
return datetime.strptime(datetimestr, '%Y-%m-%d')

sqlite3.register_converter('DATETIME', datetime2date)

db = sqlite3.connect(r'C:\Users\Mark\Cash\Data\test.sqlite',
detect_types=sqlite3.PARSE_DECLTYPES)
c = db.cursor()
c.execute('delete from temp')
row = 'DWP ESA', date(2013,11,18), 'Every two weeks', 143.4, date.max
c.execute('insert into temp values (?,?,?,?,?)', row)
c.execute('select * from temp')
row = c.fetchone()
nextdate = row[1]
print(nextdate, type(nextdate))

Run it and

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Mark\MyPython\mytest.py", line 13, in <module>
c.execute('select * from temp')
File "C:\Users\Mark\MyPython\mytest.py", line 7, in datetime2date
return datetime.strptime(datetimestr, '%Y-%m-%d')
TypeError: must be str, not bytes

However if I comment out the register_converter line this output is printed

2013-11-18 <class 'str'>

Further digging in the sqlite3 file dbapi2.py I found references to
convert_date and convert_timestamp, but putting print statements in them
and they didn't appear to be called.

So how do I achieve the round trip that I'd like, or do I simply cut my
loses and use strptime on the string that I can see returned?

Note that I won't be checking replies, if any, for several hours as it's
now 02:15 GMT and I'm heading back to bed.

Paul Simon

Mark Lawrence said:
[...]

But the best has yet to be invented. Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence
Just a quicky, but I believe you don't have to register the datetime or
timestamp converter as it is already implicit in the python to sql
adaptation. This should handle the round trip conversion for you. I use
some similar code but it's late here now.

Paul