    directory).

    Is there a way I can convert/run my code such that it can be
    executed on environment where Perl 5.004 is installed?

    foolishbrat, May 8, 2007

  2. foolishbrat <> wrote:

    > I have several Perl scripts which was written under Perl version
    > 5.8.4.
    > Now I need to run them on a office server where Perl 5.004 was
    > installed.

    That version of perl was released in 1997 or 1998.

    A whole lot can happen in a decade...

    > (And I have no option to install Perl interpreter on my home
    > directory).

    Why not?

    Because Perl costs so much?

    Company policy?

    Some other obstacle?

    > Is there a way I can convert/run my code such that it can be
    > executed on environment where Perl 5.004 is installed?

    Yes.

    1) run your 5.8.4 program on a 5.004 interpreter.

    2) observe what breaks

    3) fix those things that you have observed

    You might also consider seeing the perl*delta.pod files in the 70 or so
    perl releases that have occurred between 5.004 and 5.8.4.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, May 9, 2007