    some PERL cgi programming. I searched Google and I cannot find anything
    particularly useful. Could anybody give me some information or advice?

    Many thanks!
    Leo, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Leo wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have installed TomCat server in my linux computer. I hope to practice
    > some PERL cgi programming. I searched Google and I cannot find anything
    > particularly useful. Could anybody give me some information or advice?

    AKAIK, Tomcat is a servlet container, not a web server. Are you sure
    you don't want Apache?
    it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Leo

    Leo Guest

    What I have is called Apache Tomcat server. http://tomcat.apache.org/
    Apparently, I am new. Could you give me some more information regarding
    the difference between the two?

    Thank you.

    Leo, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Leo spits TOFU in our faces:

    [ Please don't do that. Please employ normal top-to-bottom reading
    order. ]

    > it_says_BALLS_on_your forehead wrote:
    > > Leo wrote:
    > >>I have installed TomCat server in my linux computer. I hope to practice
    > >>some PERL cgi programming. I searched Google and I cannot find anything
    > >>particularly useful. Could anybody give me some information or advice?

    > > AKAIK, Tomcat is a servlet container, not a web server. Are you sure
    > > you don't want Apache?
    > >

    > What I have is called Apache Tomcat server. http://tomcat.apache.org/
    > Apparently, I am new. Could you give me some more information regarding
    > the difference between the two?

    Perhaps you should try somewhere that deals with web servers.

    How you configure a web server to run CGI scripts is a feature of the
    web server. It is completely independant of the language in which the
    CGIs are written. You could write CGIs in C, Perl, bash, FORTRAN or
    whatever and the webserver configuration (for a given web server would
    be the same).

    That said, my vague recollection is that Apache Tomcat is kinda "Apache
    mod_java" with XML formated configuration files rather than the
    plain-text ones you get in normal Apache. Appart from that I don't
    think the config files are all that different.

    But like I said this is a vague recollection and this is off-topic
    here.
    Brian McCauley, Mar 23, 2006