how to search in a column only ??? (as in a database)

Marc Pichouron

i made an application in XML /XSL... in which one datas are oraganized
in columns loke that :

name | phone | city | etc ...

actually users can sort columns as they want, but when they have
sorted one (for example city) i would allow them to search with a
keyword only in this column for the city name....

for example i type "par" and i want my software to serach the city
name which begin by "par" ...

This functionnality should be easier in SQL... i hope there is a
solution ;-)

thks,

Marc (france)