How to search this newsgroup by a python script.

Helmut Jarausch

Hi,

I haven't found anything with Google's group search, so let me
ask it (again?).

How can I search this newsgroup from within a Python script.
(Perhaps by searching Google Groups or Gmane by some Python code.)

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Chris Rebert

Hi,

I haven't found anything with Google's group search, so let me
ask it (again?).

How can I search this newsgroup from within a Python script.
(Perhaps by searching Google Groups or Gmane by some Python code.)

1. Generate URL of the form:
http://search.gmane.org/?query=foo&group=gmane.comp.python.general
where "foo" is the search terms, with proper URL escaping applied.
2. Fetch URL using urllib - http://docs.python.org/library/urllib.html
3. Parse resulting HTML page (e.g. using BeautifulSoup)
4. Extract desired information from search results using the parse tree.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Cheers,
Chris

Tim Golden

Chris said:
1. Generate URL of the form:
http://search.gmane.org/?query=foo&group=gmane.comp.python.general
where "foo" is the search terms, with proper URL escaping applied.
2. Fetch URL using urllib - http://docs.python.org/library/urllib.html
3. Parse resulting HTML page (e.g. using BeautifulSoup)
4. Extract desired information from search results using the parse tree.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Alternatively, you could do something with the mailing list archive:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/

The .gz files are gzipped mbox format so can be dropped into, eg,
Thunderbird for offline browsing, or searched with the email
package from the stdlib.

TJG