    at http://www.worldminer.com/download.htm. Windows users can take a
    look at it. It supports more than google, but yahoo and some other search
    engines. How does it do it? I really need some hints.

    Frank Potter, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Frank Potter

    I V Guest

    Re: How to *Search* with google from inside my programme and get the search result?

    Frank Potter wrote:
    > Does google supply some webservice to programmers? I did see

    Googling for "google api" gets you to:

    http://www.google.com/apis/

    It appears to be a SOAP API, which you can access with python, but I
    think you'll need a third-party library. Googling for "python soap"
    gets you:

    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth5/

    which might be a place to start.

    I V, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Re: How to *Search* with google from inside my programme and get the search result?

    Frank Potter <> wrote:
    > Does google supply some webservice to programmers? I did see

    Yep, see http://www.google.com/apis/index.html .

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Frank Potter

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Frank Potter wrote:
    > I want to search something by a key word from inside my py script.
    > The using google idea comes to my mind first because write a search
    > programme from scratch is not so easy.
    >
    > I want to take advantage of goolge results, but I don't know how.
    > To extract the result from html of google can get the result, but it's not
    > reliable and stable because the html structure my be changed any time.
    >
    > Does google supply some webservice to programmers? I did see
    > some a tool use google to search and use it's result from the programme very
    > well. Its name is "Email catcher&sender 2.10", which can be download
    > at http://www.worldminer.com/download.htm. Windows users can take a
    > look at it. It supports more than google, but yahoo and some other search
    > engines. How does it do it? I really need some hints.

    If you'd like a (simple) example of using the google webservice, have a
    look at googlerank -
    htpp://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/recipebook.shtml#google

    In practise I've found the yahoo web services faster, simpler and less
    restrictive, so you may want to try that.

    All the best,

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Re: How to *Search* with google from inside my programme and getthe search result?

    I V wrote:
    > Frank Potter wrote:
    >> Does google supply some webservice to programmers? I did see

    > Googling for "google api" gets you to:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/apis/
    >
    > It appears to be a SOAP API, which you can access with python, but I
    > think you'll need a third-party library. Googling for "python soap"
    > gets you:
    >
    > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-pyth5/
    >
    > which might be a place to start.

    Or even easier:
    http://pygoogle.sourceforge.net/

    SUMMARY
    -------
    This module allows you to access Google's web APIs through SOAP,
    to do things like search Google and get the results programmatically.
    This API is described here:
    http://www.google.com/apis/

    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Requires Python 2.0 or later

    Requires the SOAPpy library from the Python Web Services project
    (http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net). We include an older version, but
    its use is now deprecated (and will go away completely in future
    releases). Unfortunately, versions of SOAPpy prior to 0.11.3 will not
    work correctly, and thus PyGoogle will fall back on the included
    SOAP.py library if an earlier version is found.

    // BgP

    Brett g Porter, Feb 15, 2006