how to see the list of the function names?

Xiaoshen Li

Dear All,

A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions available. To
see all the function names, man 3 intro. But on my machine, it only
gives one page text. For example, if I hope to see the function names in
3C chapter, how should I do it?

I know "man sqrt" will give me the information about the function sqrt.
But there are many functions that I don't even know their names or I am
not even aware of them.

Thank you very much for your help.

I am using Linux RedHat 7.3.

Mark McIntyre

A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions available.

The comment doesn't make sense. The number of functions that /must/ be
present in an implementation is defined by the C Standard, but
compiler writers can add as many more as they like, to handle special
features of the OS like gui or database or network support.

gives one page text. For example, if I hope to see the function names in
3C chapter, how should I do it?

Chapter 3c in what????
If you want a list of the "Standard" functions, buy either teh ISO
standard (e-copy, $18 from ISO or ANSI), or buy a good C book.

Chuck F.

Xiaoshen said:
A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions
available. To see all the function names, man 3 intro. But on
my machine, it only gives one page text. For example, if I hope
to see the function names in 3C chapter, how should I do it?

I know "man sqrt" will give me the information about the
function sqrt. But there are many functions that I don't even
know their names or I am not even aware of them.

See the references below, especially those marked C99 and
C-library. Those will document all the standard functions
available. There may be more on your system, but this newsgroup
deals only with standard C, not particular systems.

--
Some useful references about C:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>

Flash Gordon

Xiaoshen said:
Dear All,

A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions available. To
see all the function names, man 3 intro. But on my machine, it only
gives one page text. For example, if I hope to see the function names in
3C chapter, how should I do it?

How to use man is absolutely nothing to do with the C language, go ask
in a Linux group since you are using Linux. If, on the other hand, you
want a list of standard C functions (as opposed to Posix, Linux or and
other specific) you can download a draft of either C89 or C99 standards
or look at a good C reference book.