    not even aware of them.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    I am using Linux RedHat 7.3.

    Xiaoshen Li, Dec 15, 2005

  2. On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:52:54 +0000, in comp.lang.c , Xiaoshen Li
    <> wrote:

    >A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions available.

    The comment doesn't make sense. The number of functions that /must/ be
    present in an implementation is defined by the C Standard, but
    compiler writers can add as many more as they like, to handle special
    features of the OS like gui or database or network support.

    >gives one page text. For example, if I hope to see the function names in
    >3C chapter, how should I do it?

    Chapter 3c in what????
    If you want a list of the "Standard" functions, buy either teh ISO
    standard (e-copy, $18 from ISO or ANSI), or buy a good C book.

    Mark McIntyre, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Xiaoshen Li

    Chuck F. Guest

    Xiaoshen Li wrote:

    > A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions
    > available. To see all the function names, man 3 intro. But on
    > my machine, it only gives one page text. For example, if I hope
    > to see the function names in 3C chapter, how should I do it?
    >
    > I know "man sqrt" will give me the information about the
    > function sqrt. But there are many functions that I don't even
    > know their names or I am not even aware of them.

    See the references below, especially those marked C99 and
    C-library. Those will document all the standard functions
    available. There may be more on your system, but this newsgroup
    deals only with standard C, not particular systems.

    --
    Some useful references about C:
    <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>

    Chuck F., Dec 15, 2005
  4. Xiaoshen Li

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Xiaoshen Li wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > A tutorial told me that there are more than 700 functions available. To
    > see all the function names, man 3 intro. But on my machine, it only
    > gives one page text. For example, if I hope to see the function names in
    > 3C chapter, how should I do it?

    How to use man is absolutely nothing to do with the C language, go ask
    in a Linux group since you are using Linux. If, on the other hand, you
    want a list of standard C functions (as opposed to Posix, Linux or and
    other specific) you can download a draft of either C89 or C99 standards
    or look at a good C reference book.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Living in interesting times.