how to see the source code

Markus Moll

Hi
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?

Kindly ask the person who built the executable to show you the source code.
I'm afraid there's no other way.

Markus

tmp123

newbie said:
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?

1) read the LICENSE of the program
if still want to do it:
2) Look for references about "reverse enginnering".
3) read again the LICENSE, in special the part about "reverse
enginnering".

Pedro Graca

newbie said:
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?

cat?

$ cat file.exe
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void) {
puts("The answer is 42.");
return 0;
}
$ gcc -xc file.exe
$ ./a.out
The answer is 42.

Or did you mean to see the source code from the .out file?

SCNR :)

Lemor

Hehe lol!
Newbie your mind has starting working. ;-)

The answer is reverse engeneering [in short RE]
This the way of looking back at the codes the programmer compiled.
Actually u cannot see the coder but the debugger [this is the program
used in RE]
helps u to understand what logic the programmer has used to develope
the program.

If u need details i can 'surely' help u out. [reply on my mail]

So,
Seeya'roun;-D

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=

tmp123 said:
1) read the LICENSE of the program
if still want to do it:
2) Look for references about "reverse enginnering".
3) read again the LICENSE, in special the part about "reverse
enginnering".

Whatever the license has to say about reverse engineering is
irrelevant in most European countries, where reverse engineering is
explicitly and irrevocably permitted by law; and all of this is
completely off-topic in this group.

DES

CBFalconer

newbie said:
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?

Yes. Load the corresponding .c file into a text editor.

Don't forget to feed hay to the cow you reconstitute from your next
hamburger at McDonalds.

John Bode

newbie said:
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?

This is the programming equivalent of turning hamburger back into cows.
There are tools available that will dissassemble the machine code and
generate equivalent C source, but the likelihood of the generated
source being a) readable and b) anywhere close to the original source
is pretty low.

Malcolm

newbie said:
.
Anyone know how to see the source code from the .exe file?
Most compilers strip the source from the executable, so it is impossible to
retrieve the original source from the executable.

Java is different - the standard specifies that the source should be
appended to the binaries.

There is just a slim chance that your executable has been compiled with a C
compiler that does this. Open the file in an ASCII editor, and if this is
the case you should be able to see the source.

Keith Thompson

Malcolm said:
Most compilers strip the source from the executable, so it is impossible to
retrieve the original source from the executable.

They don't just strip the source from the executable; the source isn't
part of the executable to begin with.
Java is different - the standard specifies that the source should be
appended to the binaries.

Off-topic even if true (and I don't think it is).
There is just a slim chance that your executable has been compiled with a C
compiler that does this. Open the file in an ASCII editor, and if this is
the case you should be able to see the source.

I've never heard of a C compiler that does this.

Neil

Keith said:
They don't just strip the source from the executable; the source isn't
part of the executable to begin with.

Off-topic even if true (and I don't think it is).

I've never heard of a C compiler that does this.

Some compilers give the option of including debug info in the .exe This
allows the debugger to find addresses. Never heard of including source
either.