How to send a DIME attachment with SOAP

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ipsita, Oct 29, 2004.

  1. Ipsita

    Ipsita Guest

    Hi!

    I am trying SOAP with DIME attachments in web services. The web
    service sends the file as attachment say "test.doc", and the client
    has to read that and populate it in a textbox control. I had asked
    this question earlier, and got the reply that the data is tranferred
    in binary format on the wire. I read the stream, and convert it to
    string, but I get some junk characters in my textbox. I am writing my
    code below, so that you can see what I am doing wrong, and correct me.
    This is what I do:

    On Server:
    ----------
    [WebMethod]
    public void GetDoc()
    {
    SoapContext respContext = ResponseSoapContext.Current;
    DimeAttachment dimeAttach = new DimeAttachment("application/msword",
    TypeFormat.MediaType,
    @"D:\Images\Test.doc");
    respContext.Attachments.Add(dimeAttach);
    }

    On Client:
    ----------
    private void btnGetDoc_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    MyDimeService svc = new MyDimeService();
    svc.GetDoc();
    if (svc.ResponseSoapContext.Attachments.Count == 1)
    {
    MessageBox.Show("Got it!\n");
    // Get the stream and do something with it
    Stream s = svc.ResponseSoapContext.Attachments[0].Stream;
    byte [] binaryData = new byte[s.Length];
    long bytesRead = s.Read(binaryData, 0, binaryData.Length);
    s.Close();
    string base64String;
    try
    {
    base64String = System.Convert.ToBase64String(binaryData, 0,

    binaryData.Length);
    }
    catch (System.ArgumentNullException)
    {
    System.Console.WriteLine("Binary data array is null.");
    return;
    }
    txtGetDoc.Text = base64String;
    } //end of if
    } //end of private..

    Waiting for an answer...

    Thanks
    Ipsita

    Ipsita, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Ipsita

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    I think the issue is you are trying to convert a Word document to a text
    string. To quote the little boy with the spoon in "The Matrix" - "That's
    impossible.".

    To read a word document on the client side, you could write the stream as
    received to an appropriately named file, and then invoke word. Otherwise,
    you might try to load the stream into an XMLDocument class - most word
    documents these days are XML, but older versions are not. From there you
    might be able to find the string you are looking for.

    In short, to display text in a text box, you'll need to make sure you're
    sending text that is suitble for display in a text box. Most binary files
    are not.

    Sorry if this isn't the answer you were seeking,

    Regards

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    >From: (Ipsita)