How to send a secure email (maybe PGP)?

Human Dunnil

Hello,

In an application I have to send an email containing a Credit Card
number, but I don't know how to secure it!!!

Is there a ruby library or best practice for securing an email
content, I googled for it with no success.

Thanks in advance,
- Dunnil

Michal Suchanek

Hello,

In an application I have to send an email containing a Credit Card
number, but I don't know how to secure it!!!

Is there a ruby library or best practice for securing an email
content, I googled for it with no success.

There are some encryption functions in openssl. Hopefully the ruby
bindings and mime libraries could be used to compose an encrypted
message.

However, the critical part is that you have to get the key of the
receiver somehow and their mail client has to support the kind of
encryption you use.

You could probably guess the kind of encryption by looking at the key
(PGP vs the openssl certificates, I am not sure if there is any
other). However, you still need to collect the (public) keys.

Thanks

Michal

Doug Phillips