    What is it?

    Thanks,
    Denny

    DennyOR, Mar 5, 2004

  2. DennyOR wrote:

    > I would like to efficiently send long streams of numerical data (byte or
    > integer arrays) back and forth between a local application and a java
    > servlet application. I assume the java APIs provide an easy way to do this.

    Depends on whyt you mean with "easy" and what your local application
    uses. The standard way would be via a socket communication, but under
    Unix, a named pipe would be a simpler alternative.

    As for the actual data formatting, java.io.DataInputStream and
    java.io.DataOutputStream (possible on top of BufferedIn/OutputStream)
    should do fine, though you'll have to make up a communications protocol
    to delimit the data and specify its type. Or is the "locap app" also
    in Java? Then you can use ObjectIn/OutputStream.

    Michael Borgwardt, Mar 5, 2004