How to send data streams?

DennyOR

I would like to efficiently send long streams of numerical data (byte or
integer arrays) back and forth between a local application and a java
servlet application. I assume the java APIs provide an easy way to do this.
What is it?

Thanks,
Denny

Michael Borgwardt

DennyOR said:
I would like to efficiently send long streams of numerical data (byte or
integer arrays) back and forth between a local application and a java
servlet application. I assume the java APIs provide an easy way to do this.

Depends on whyt you mean with "easy" and what your local application
uses. The standard way would be via a socket communication, but under
Unix, a named pipe would be a simpler alternative.

As for the actual data formatting, java.io.DataInputStream and
java.io.DataOutputStream (possible on top of BufferedIn/OutputStream)
should do fine, though you'll have to make up a communications protocol
to delimit the data and specify its type. Or is the "locap app" also
in Java? Then you can use ObjectIn/OutputStream.