How to send information from a website to a FAX machine.....help..

Discussion in 'HTML' started by magicianstalk, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Hey all,

    I have read around on this, and haven't found the answer i am
    looking for -- i appreciate your help. A friend of mine just bought a
    pizza business, and i have designed a webpage for him. We decided to
    implement an online-order placement feature. Now, i know i could have
    the form sent to email -- but that would require a constant internet
    connection, and a LOUD alert.... I was was wondering if there was
    anyway to have the form that is filled out on the webpage be sent to
    the business' FAX machine when it's submitted. I would have to have
    this work without the customer having to have any special config's on
    their system....

    In other words, when they place the order, and hit submit -- i want
    it to be sent to the fax at the pizza place. What is a good service
    for this? Are there free ones? Is it complicated? Can you think of
    any alternatives for having orders sent from the net?

    We really appreciate your help...

    Thanks,

    Matt

    magicianstalk, Aug 3, 2004

  2. magicianstalk

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Aug 3, 2004

  3. magicianstalk

    Augustus Guest

    "magicianstalk" <> wrote in message

    > In other words, when they place the order, and hit submit -- i want
    > it to be sent to the fax at the pizza place. What is a good service
    > for this? Are there free ones? Is it complicated? Can you think of
    > any alternatives for having orders sent from the net?

    Hey this is pretty much what I do for a living... faxing lunch/dinner orders
    to restaurants from the web.

    You can do it yourself (by setting up a fax server, hooking up a phone line
    to your web server and then sending information from the website to the fax
    server) but it can be alot of trouble and unless you are doing ALOT of
    transactions its often not worth the cost.

    The best way to do this would probably be to sign up at an email-to-fax
    company... When the customer comes to your site and places an order it is
    sent (by email or xml) to their servers where it is then rendered into an
    image and faxed off (the destination fax number is usually the subject line
    or the first line of the email).

    Cost is typically dependant upon how many transactions per month you expect
    to do (typically 5 to 15 cents per fax or per fax page)

    The two companies I use are:
    www.dataoncall.com
    www.protus.com

    Are there free services? Yes. HOWEVER ordering is time sensitive... the
    free services offer no guarantee when your fax is sent (could be sent
    anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 days)

    Augustus, Aug 3, 2004