    timeout for a page that is trying to load an applet from a host that is
    down/unreachable?

    Cheers Richard Maher

    Richard Maher, Jun 21, 2009

  2. Richard Maher

    VK Guest

    On Jun 21, 1:48 pm, "Richard Maher" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone please tell me what sytem/browser/network parameters govern the
    > timeout for a page that is trying to load an applet from a host that is
    > down/unreachable?
    >
    > Cheers Richard Maher

    It is double-sided: one limit is set by browser, the other by server.
    Normally, with unaltered settings, browser's one is very generous so
    server would have time to "think over" and to answer with 404.

    Browser timeout settings are stored differently on different browsers,
    there is not a unified property name or value.

    What exactly is your problem in relation with Javascript (which is not
    Java)?

    VK, Jun 21, 2009

  3. Hi VK,

    > It is double-sided: one limit is set by browser, the other by server.

    Well the server's down so I'd better concentrate on the browser option :)

    > Normally, with unaltered settings,

    So how would I, or any user, alter them? (And I take it these are then
    global browser-wide options and there's no per request/file http option?)

    > browser's one is very generous so
    > server would have time to "think over" and to answer with 404.

    Yeah looks to be a couple of mins by default.

    > Browser timeout settings are stored differently on different browsers,
    > there is not a unified property name or value.

    Ok, for example, what would I do it for say FireFox or IE? I couldn't see it
    in the options. Is there nothing in the DOM or "SRC=" that could help?

    > What exactly is your problem in relation with Javascript (which is not
    > Java)?

    I inject an Applet <Object> tag into a div at run-time and if the server's
    not there it takes "too long" to report back. I was just hoping some HTTP
    (or HTML DOM) option provided an interface to the TCP/IP Connect-Timeout
    functionality.

    Cheers Richard Maher

    Richard Maher, Jun 22, 2009