How to set HTTP connect timeout

Richard Maher

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what sytem/browser/network parameters govern the
timeout for a page that is trying to load an applet from a host that is
down/unreachable?

Cheers Richard Maher

VK

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what sytem/browser/network parameters govern the
timeout for a page that is trying to load an applet from a host that is
down/unreachable?

Cheers Richard Maher

It is double-sided: one limit is set by browser, the other by server.
Normally, with unaltered settings, browser's one is very generous so
server would have time to "think over" and to answer with 404.

Browser timeout settings are stored differently on different browsers,
there is not a unified property name or value.

What exactly is your problem in relation with Javascript (which is not
Java)?

Richard Maher

Hi VK,
It is double-sided: one limit is set by browser, the other by server.

Well the server's down so I'd better concentrate on the browser option :)
Normally, with unaltered settings,

So how would I, or any user, alter them? (And I take it these are then
global browser-wide options and there's no per request/file http option?)
browser's one is very generous so
server would have time to "think over" and to answer with 404.

Yeah looks to be a couple of mins by default.
Browser timeout settings are stored differently on different browsers,
there is not a unified property name or value.

Ok, for example, what would I do it for say FireFox or IE? I couldn't see it
in the options. Is there nothing in the DOM or "SRC=" that could help?
What exactly is your problem in relation with Javascript (which is not
Java)?

I inject an Applet <Object> tag into a div at run-time and if the server's
not there it takes "too long" to report back. I was just hoping some HTTP
(or HTML DOM) option provided an interface to the TCP/IP Connect-Timeout
functionality.

Cheers Richard Maher