how to set .net environment variables - a one time setting by the administrator

Guest

As the .NET administrator, how (where) do you set the 'environment variables’? We are converting old COBOL applications to .NET. For the COBOL, we have an environment variable set to allow us to use: "folder\file", instead of the usual: "D:\folder\file". When the COBOL applications run on our clustered servers (2 IIS servers, 2 SQL 2000 servers, and SAN drives for data), our output data files arrive on the SAN just fine (we can see files/folders in the cluster from our desktops by mapping to the drives, and thru Remote Desktop). So where/how does one do a similar kind of 'environment variable' setup for the .NET applications. Thanks in advance to anyone.