how to setup ASP.NET on separate machine and debug

SStory

2 questions.

I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
IIS and MSDE installed.

1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
something more I should do?

2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

Thank a lot,

Shane

ps. JUst got version 2003 and the datagrid builder alone should be a big
time saver.

Carl Prothman [MVP]

"SStory >" <[email protected]
I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
IIS and MSDE installed.

1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
something more I should do?

Yes, just install the .NET Framework.

Note if you install IIS after installing the .NET Framework, then you will need to run
the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306005&GSSNB=1

2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

Check out the following MS KB article:

HOW TO: Set Up and Use Remote Debugging in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318041

Plus if you run into any debugging issues, then make sure to check out the following doc
http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc

--

Thanks,
Carl Prothman