how to setup ASP.NET on separate machine and debug

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SStory, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. SStory

    SStory Guest

    2 questions.

    I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
    IIS and MSDE installed.

    1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
    ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
    something more I should do?

    2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
    is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
    install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

    Thank a lot,

    Shane

    ps. JUst got version 2003 and the datagrid builder alone should be a big
    time saver.
    SStory, Aug 8, 2003

  2. "SStory >" <
    > I have two XPPro boxes. One has VS2003 Pro installed. The other box has
    > IIS and MSDE installed.
    >
    > 1.) What do I do to make the IIS on this 2nd machine ready for .NET and
    > ASP.NET? Do I just run dotnetfx on the Prerequisites CD or is there
    > something more I should do?

    Yes, just install the .NET Framework.

    Note if you install IIS after installing the .NET Framework, then you will need to run
    the Aspnet_regiis.exe utility.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306005&GSSNB=1

    > 2.) What do I need to do in order to be able to debug the ASP.NET app that
    > is in the IDE On one machine and executing on IIS on another? Do I have to
    > install remote debugging. Please be specific on the overall procedure.

    Check out the following MS KB article:

    HOW TO: Set Up and Use Remote Debugging in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318041

    Plus if you run into any debugging issues, then make sure to check out the following doc
    http://gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/learn/whitepapers/howtosolvedebuggerproblems.doc

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman