How to share Cache between applications

Marshal Antony

Hi,
I would like to share cache information among different
applications(ASP.NET applications with its own
virtual directories) in IIS 6.0.As the Cache is per
application basis,how can I achieve this?
I know web services is an option but I security may be an
issue.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Marshal Antony

Kevin Spencer

Basically, you can't. Application Cache is specific to the machine on which
the app is running. What you CAN do is to store "global" information in a
database, such as SQL Server.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

Marshal Antony

Kevin,
Thanks for your reply.
I need to share Cache between applications in a
single machine only not in multiple machines.
As the Cache in each application in the same machine is
different,can we design a mechanism where all the
applications can read from a common cache in the
same machine?.This will help because for
example if I want to share Customer information among applications in
the same machine I need to store it
in only single cache as a dataset so that I can save memory.
Thanks in advance for your comment on this.
Marshal

Kevin Spencer

Hi Marshal,

Again, I think using a database to store such "shared" data would be the
best approach. You can't cross Application boundaries, and that memory space
is all that will be available to each Application.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
http://www.takempis.com
Big Things are made up of
Lots of Little Things.

Marshal Antony

Kevin,

Thanks for your opinion on this.
I agree database is the best way to go as I can't cross application
boundaries.
Thanks again,
Marshal