    arun Guest

    I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
    can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
    kids at skid.org.in

    I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
    computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
    there some cool way do do this?

    Thanks,
    Professor Arun Mehta

    arun, Jul 22, 2009

  2. arun

    F. Senault Guest

    Le 22 juillet à 10:15, arun a écrit :

    > I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
    > can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
    > kids at skid.org.in
    >
    > I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
    > computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
    > there some cool way do do this?

    Dunno about cool, but if you're using *nix or cygwin, the GNU screen
    utility ( http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ ) should allow you to
    share terminals (for a start, cfr
    http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html#Multiuser-Session
    ).

    Fred
    --
    29.12.99 (...some headline...)
    29.12.99 (...some headline...)

    F. Senault, Jul 22, 2009

  3. arun <> writes:

    > I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
    > can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
    > kids at skid.org.in
    >
    > I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
    > computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
    > there some cool way do do this?

    You could write an IRC bot that would receive ruby expressions,
    evaluate them and return the results.

    You and your student could then chat with any IRC client (there are
    even IRC clients usable thru the web, have a look at:
    http://webchat.freenode.net/ ).

    You should only take care of the security, if random people can send
    random instructions to your bot computer, it may be bad. But in a
    controlled environment, it's simple enough to implement.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__

    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Jul 22, 2009
  4. arun wrote:
    > I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
    > computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
    > there some cool way do do this?

    VNC

    Brian Candler, Jul 22, 2009
  5. arun

    arun mehta Guest

    On Jul 22, 1:25 pm, "F. Senault" <> wrote:

    > Dunno about cool, but if you're using *nix or cygwin, the GNU screen
    > utility (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) should allow you to
    > share terminals (for a start, cfrhttp://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html#Multiuser-Session

    thanks Fred
    let me see if I can get my students to run cygwin :)
    warmly,
    arun

    arun mehta, Jul 22, 2009
  6. arun

    7stud -- Guest

    arun wrote:
    > I am trying to teach my students ruby and rails online, so that they
    > can contribute to the software we are writing for mentally challenged
    > kids at skid.org.in
    >
    > I would love to be able to type something into an irb session on my
    > computer, and have my students be able to view it on their own. Is
    > there some cool way do do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Professor Arun Mehta

    Instead, why not write a ruby program in a much easier to use text
    editor and email it to them? irb is idiotic.

    7stud --, Jul 22, 2009