    have each web page link to it. Could you guys please let me know how
    to do this? Thanks a lot!

    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. darrel Guest

    > A bunch of web pages of mine need the same function. Right now, I put
    > the Subs in each individual page.
    >
    > I think there must be a way to save my Subs in a separate file and then
    > have each web page link to it. Could you guys please let me know how
    > to do this? Thanks a lot!

    There are a variety of ways. One way is to just make a new class file (a .vb
    or .cs file) and then reference the function that way.

    I typically make a new class file called sharedFunctions and then put
    specific functions within it. I can then reference them from any file in the
    project: sharedFunctions.myFunction()

    -Darrel

    darrel, Sep 28, 2005

  3. > I think there must be a way to save my Subs in a separate file and then
    > have each web page link to it. Could you guys please let me know how
    > to do this? Thanks a lot!

    ASP.Net is fully-compiled and object-oriented. So, one of the first things
    you need to do as a new ASP.Net programmer is to retrain your thinking.
    There are no pages in an ASP.Net application. There are only classes. A
    System.Web.UI.Page is a class, and that template you create is just part of
    the class definition.

    So, you don't ever define Subs in files. They are methods in classes.

    Now, the reason I'm sayiing this is that you need to create a class that
    contains your common Subs, and use that in all of your Page classes. It
    doesn't have direct access to the HttpContext that is passed to a page, but
    remember that it will be used BY a Page, which does have the HttpContext.
    And you can reference it in your class thusly:

    ' Using Request as a part of the HttpContext
    Public Sub DoSomething()
    Dim Request As HttpRequest = CType(HttpContext.Current.Handler,
    System.Web.UI.Page).Request
    If Request.QueryString("SomeParameter") = "foo" Then
    'Do Something
    End If
    End Sub

    It will really help you to reflect on the Object-oriented nature of .Net, in
    order to leverage it to its fullest extent.

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Big things are made up of
    lots of little things.

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 28, 2005

    Hi, Thx.

    After I got your reply, then I created a file called "MyClass.vb" in
    the same folder of the webpages.

    MyClass.vb has a Class like this:

    Public Class MyClass
    Public Sub MySub()
    Do Something
    End Sub
    End Class

    I called the MySub like this in my webpage:

    Call MyClass.MySub()

    This is the compile error:

    BC30456: 'MySub' is not a member of 'ASP.Page1_aspx'.

    Apparently I did not do it in the right way. I think I am doing it
    like Java. I was a Java programmer.

    Shouldn't I tell Page1.aspx where to find that function?

    darrel wrote:
    > > A bunch of web pages of mine need the same function. Right now, I put
    > > the Subs in each individual page.
    > >
    > > I think there must be a way to save my Subs in a separate file and then
    > > have each web page link to it. Could you guys please let me know how
    > > to do this? Thanks a lot!

    > There are a variety of ways. One way is to just make a new class file (a .vb
    > or .cs file) and then reference the function that way.
    >
    > I typically make a new class file called sharedFunctions and then put
    > specific functions within it. I can then reference them from any file in the
    > project: sharedFunctions.myFunction()
    >
    > -Darrel

    , Sep 28, 2005

    Thanks, Kevin, I was a Java programmer. So I think that I know a little
    bit about OO programming. It is a new thing to me that .Net framwork
    does not have a page. Because of this, I am kinda confused by the
    sample code your provided.

    , Sep 28, 2005
  6. If you're using ASP.NET 2.0, place MyClass.vb
    in the App_Code folder. You'll be able to access it there.

    If you're using ASP.NET 1.1, you should command-line compile
    MyClass.vb to MyClass.dll and place it in the /bin drectory.

    You, then, can import the namespace in your aspx file with :
    <%@ Import Namespace="YourNameSpaceName" %>
    and instantiate your classes from any aspx page.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 28, 2005

    Hi, Juan,

    Yes, I am using ASP.NET 1.1. I tried compiling MyClass.vb using
    vbc.exe, but got an error message as follows:

    "The application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not
    found.Reinstalling this application may fix this problem"

    But MSVCR71.dll is actually right there under the folder
    Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322. How to fix this please?

    By the way, how to get ASP.NET 2.0? Is it freely upgradable?

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > If you're using ASP.NET 2.0, place MyClass.vb
    > in the App_Code folder. You'll be able to access it there.
    >
    > If you're using ASP.NET 1.1, you should command-line compile
    > MyClass.vb to MyClass.dll and place it in the /bin drectory.
    >
    > You, then, can import the namespace in your aspx file with :
    > <%@ Import Namespace="YourNameSpaceName" %>
    > and instantiate your classes from any aspx page.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, Thx.
    > >
    > > After I got your reply, then I created a file called "MyClass.vb" in
    > > the same folder of the webpages.
    > >
    > > MyClass.vb has a Class like this:
    > >
    > > Public Class MyClass
    > > Public Sub MySub()
    > > Do Something
    > > End Sub
    > > End Class
    > >
    > > I called the MySub like this in my webpage:
    > >
    > > Call MyClass.MySub()
    > >
    > > This is the compile error:
    > >
    > > BC30456: 'MySub' is not a member of 'ASP.Page1_aspx'.
    > >
    > > Apparently I did not do it in the right way. I think I am doing it
    > > like Java. I was a Java programmer.
    > >
    > > Shouldn't I tell Page1.aspx where to find that function?

    > >> There are a variety of ways. One way is to just make a new class file (a .vb
    > >> or .cs file) and then reference the function that way.
    > >>
    > >> I typically make a new class file called sharedFunctions and then put
    > >> specific functions within it. I can then reference them from any file in the
    > >> project: sharedFunctions.myFunction()
    > >>
    > >> -Darrel

    , Sep 29, 2005
  8. re:
    >I tried compiling MyClass.vb using vbc.exe, but got an error message

    Was your compilation attempt made from a directory
    included in your system's environment path ?

    It could also be that you have a failed .Net Framework install.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling the .Net framework would help in that case.

    re:
    >how to get ASP.NET 2.0? Is it freely upgradable?

    If you are an MSDN subscriber,you can download the RC at :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx

    Otherwise, you can download the public 2.0 Beta versions here :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx

    Also, there's a download which includes the
    Beta 2 Visual Web Developer version at :

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 29, 2005

    Hi, Juan,

    Yes, I've set the PATH variable. But I am still getting that error
    message.

    That said, I have downloaded and installed the ASP.20 Visual Web
    Developer kit and issued aspnet_regiis.exe -i.

    Now, when I check out my web application, I get this error message:

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a
    Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies
    the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be
    used in a cluster.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate
    MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster,
    ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey
    and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

    Source Error:

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > >I tried compiling MyClass.vb using vbc.exe, but got an error message

    > Was your compilation attempt made from a directory
    > included in your system's environment path ?
    >
    > It could also be that you have a failed .Net Framework install.
    > Uninstalling and reinstalling the .Net framework would help in that case.
    >
    > re:
    > >how to get ASP.NET 2.0? Is it freely upgradable?

    > If you are an MSDN subscriber,you can download the RC at :
    > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx
    >
    > Otherwise, you can download the public 2.0 Beta versions here :
    > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/get/default.aspx
    >
    > Also, there's a download which includes the
    > Beta 2 Visual Web Developer version at :
    >
    > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Juan,
    >
    > Yes, I am using ASP.NET 1.1. I tried compiling MyClass.vb using
    > vbc.exe, but got an error message as follows:
    >
    > "The application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not
    > found.Reinstalling this application may fix this problem"
    >
    > But MSVCR71.dll is actually right there under the folder
    > Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322. How to fix this please?
    >
    > By the way, how to get ASP.NET 2.0? Is it freely upgradable?
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > If you're using ASP.NET 2.0, place MyClass.vb
    > > in the App_Code folder. You'll be able to access it there.
    > >
    > > If you're using ASP.NET 1.1, you should command-line compile
    > > MyClass.vb to MyClass.dll and place it in the /bin drectory.
    > >
    > > You, then, can import the namespace in your aspx file with :
    > > <%@ Import Namespace="YourNameSpaceName" %>
    > > and instantiate your classes from any aspx page.
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > ======================================
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, Thx.
    > > >
    > > > After I got your reply, then I created a file called "MyClass.vb" in
    > > > the same folder of the webpages.
    > > >
    > > > MyClass.vb has a Class like this:
    > > >
    > > > Public Class MyClass
    > > > Public Sub MySub()
    > > > Do Something
    > > > End Sub
    > > > End Class
    > > >
    > > > I called the MySub like this in my webpage:
    > > >
    > > > Call MyClass.MySub()
    > > >
    > > > This is the compile error:
    > > >
    > > > BC30456: 'MySub' is not a member of 'ASP.Page1_aspx'.
    > > >
    > > > Apparently I did not do it in the right way. I think I am doing it
    > > > like Java. I was a Java programmer.
    > > >
    > > > Shouldn't I tell Page1.aspx where to find that function?

    , Sep 29, 2005
  10. re:
    > That said, I have downloaded and installed the ASP.20
    > Visual Web Developer kit and issued aspnet_regiis.exe -i.

    From which .Net Framework directory ?

    From the 1.1 .Net Framework dir, or from the 2.0 directory ?

    Also, did you change your application's directory so it runs
    the 2.0 ASP.NET version, or is it still running the 1.1 version ?

    If the ASP.NET tab is available in the IIS Manager, change
    the target .Net Framework version to the appropiate one.

    If it's not available, download Denis Bauer's ASP.NET Version Switcher
    and change the ASP.NET version for you app withj that :

    http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

    Remember that now that you're running two versions of ASP.NET that,
    at least, all 1.1 apps will need to be in one AppPool and all 2.0 apps
    will need to be in a different AppPool.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 29, 2005

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > That said, I have downloaded and installed the ASP.20
    > > Visual Web Developer kit and issued aspnet_regiis.exe -i.

    > From which .Net Framework directory ?
    > From the 1.1 .Net Framework dir, or from the 2.0 directory ?

    I issued the aspnet_regiis.exe -i from the v2.0.50215 folder.

    > Also, did you change your application's directory so it runs
    > the 2.0 ASP.NET version, or is it still running the 1.1 version ?

    No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0 must
    reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?

    > If the ASP.NET tab is available in the IIS Manager, change
    > the target .Net Framework version to the appropiate one.

    Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    > If it's not available, download Denis Bauer's ASP.NET Version Switcher
    > and change the ASP.NET version for you app withj that :
    >
    > http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx
    >
    > Remember that now that you're running two versions of ASP.NET that,
    > at least, all 1.1 apps will need to be in one AppPool and all 2.0 apps
    > will need to be in a different AppPool.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================

    , Sep 29, 2005
  12. re:
    > No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0
    > must reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?

    You can't have the same application running under both
    1.1 and 2.0 in the same physical, or virtual, directory.

    Also, they must run in a different Application Pool.

    re:
    > Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    > "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    No.

    Only that your 1.1 apps must run in a different AppPool than 2.0's.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 29, 2005

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0
    > > must reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?

    > You can't have the same application running under both
    > 1.1 and 2.0 in the same physical, or virtual, directory.
    >
    > Also, they must run in a different Application Pool.

    I don't have a concept of Application Pool. So, will my 1.1
    application run well with ASP.NET 2.0?

    Also, will the problem be resolved if I disable 1.1.4322? It did not,
    I tried.

    > re:
    > > Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    > > "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    > No.
    >
    > Only that your 1.1 apps must run in a different AppPool than 2.0's.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > re:
    > > > That said, I have downloaded and installed the ASP.20
    > > > Visual Web Developer kit and issued aspnet_regiis.exe -i.

    > > From which .Net Framework directory ?
    > > From the 1.1 .Net Framework dir, or from the 2.0 directory ?

    > I issued the aspnet_regiis.exe -i from the v2.0.50215 folder.
    >
    > > Also, did you change your application's directory so it runs
    > > the 2.0 ASP.NET version, or is it still running the 1.1 version ?

    > No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0 must
    > reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?
    >
    > > If the ASP.NET tab is available in the IIS Manager, change
    > > the target .Net Framework version to the appropiate one.

    > Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    > "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    , Sep 29, 2005

    Hi, Juan,

    Thank you very much. I think I need more time for ASP.NET 2.0.

    I have uninstalled the 2.0 version and will stay with 1.1 for now. The
    vbc compiler worked when I compiled the source under the v1.1.4322
    folder where the msvcr71.dll resides.

    But then I have a VB code problem:

    vbc : error BC30420: 'Sub Main' was not found in 'MyClass'.
    f:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\MyClass.vb(1) : error BC30183: Keyword is not
    valid as an identifier.

    Public Class MyClass
    ~~~~~~~

    I am new to VB. I am a Java man. Does this mean that each VB class
    must have a Sub Main? This sounds weird. Also, why isn't MyClass a
    valid identifier?

    Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    > > No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0
    > > must reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?

    > You can't have the same application running under both
    > 1.1 and 2.0 in the same physical, or virtual, directory.
    >
    > Also, they must run in a different Application Pool.
    >
    > re:
    > > Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    > > "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    > No.
    >
    > Only that your 1.1 apps must run in a different AppPool than 2.0's.
    >

    > Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    > ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > Foros de ASP.NET en Español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================
    > <> wrote in message
    > Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > > re:
    > > > That said, I have downloaded and installed the ASP.20
    > > > Visual Web Developer kit and issued aspnet_regiis.exe -i.

    > > From which .Net Framework directory ?
    > > From the 1.1 .Net Framework dir, or from the 2.0 directory ?

    > I issued the aspnet_regiis.exe -i from the v2.0.50215 folder.
    >
    > > Also, did you change your application's directory so it runs
    > > the 2.0 ASP.NET version, or is it still running the 1.1 version ?

    > No, I did not. Do you mean that applications for ASP.NET 2.0 must
    > reside in a directory different from those of ASP.NET 1.1?
    >
    > > If the ASP.NET tab is available in the IIS Manager, change
    > > the target .Net Framework version to the appropiate one.

    > Yes, the tabs are visible. Both v1.1.4322 and v2.0.50215 are
    > "Allowed". Do you mean that I should "prohibit" v1.1.4322?

    , Sep 29, 2005
  15. Hi, Antony.

    re:
    > But then I have a VB code problem:
    > vbc : error BC30420: 'Sub Main' was not found in 'MyClass'.
    > f:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\MyClass.vb(1) : error BC30183:
    > Keyword is not valid as an identifier. Public Class MyClass
    >Does this mean that each VB class must have a Sub Main?

    Are you creating a Windows Forms application ( instead of a web aplication ) ?

    You don't need "Sub Main" in web applications...

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 29, 2005