How to show a disabled link?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Barbara de Zoete, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:55:50 -0800,
    <> wrote:

    > I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions,

    Conditions? Conditions? What on earth can that conditions bee?

    > the link
    > will be invalid. I'm wondering what is the best method to display to
    > the user that the link is invalid so that they can change the
    > condition so that it is valid.

    Change the conditions? If you are not able to provide me valid links in my
    browsing situation, I just press the back-button and go to a rival site.

    > Here's the methods I've thought of to accomplish the task, any
    > suggestions or opinions? Is there a standard method to handle what I'm
    > trying to accomplish?
    >
    > 1. Overlay the link with a "No" symbol (circle with a slash)
    > 2. Change the link so that it is disabled
    > 3. Remove the link
    > 4. Any others?

    That must be #4 definitely. Change your page so it works in everybody's
    browser without any hassle for the visitor.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Dec 7, 2004

  2. Barbara de Zoete

    Neal Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions, the link
    > will be invalid. I'm wondering what is the best method to display to
    > the user that the link is invalid so that they can change the
    > condition so that it is valid.

    Don't display the link. Use PHP to echo one or the other line of HTML
    depending on whatever conditions you have. I've used this in navigation
    lists, where if you're on the page the link points to, the link is
    replaced with non-clickable text with a class for styling.

    Whether or not it's confusing, that depends on why you need to do this.

    Neal, Dec 7, 2004

  3. On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:55:50 -0800, wrote:

    > I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions, the link
    > will be invalid. I'm wondering what is the best method to display to
    > the user that the link is invalid so that they can change the
    > condition so that it is valid.

    Please post an example of what you currently have. Your description is
    too vague to really anwser.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 7, 2004
  4. Barbara de Zoete

    Neal Guest

    erikd:

    > I'm using this for a disc menu (not on the web)

    Ah, should have said. BTW, your post is time-stamped 2 hours in the
    future...

    #1 has a problem in that the link is still active which would allow
    the user to still select it, even if it will give an error after
    selecting it. #2 will show that under certain conditions the link
    could be active, but I don't know how to disable the link. Also, would
    the users find this confusing? #3 I think is the worst choice since
    the user won't be aware that they need to change the condition to
    activate the link. They won't know the link is there.

    --
    Erik

    , Dec 7, 2004
  6. Barbara de Zoete

    Noozer Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 19:11:12 +0100, "Barbara de Zoete"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions,

    > >Conditions? Conditions? What on earth can that conditions bee?

    > I'm building an html menu for a set of optical discs (dvd & cdrom). I
    > am using the same menu for all the discs so that the user doesn't need
    > to know which disc the application is on in advance, but the proper
    > disc is indicated on the menu. They can place any disc in the drive to
    > begin. At the moment the same menu runs from each disc, but in the
    > future I want to copy the menu to the users hard drive and then
    > depending on which disc is in the drive, make the proper link active.

    Wrong tool for the job. HTML won't be adequate for your task.

    Noozer, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Barbara de Zoete

    Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:21:15 -0500, Neal <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:55:50 -0800,
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions, the link
    >> will be invalid. I'm wondering what is the best method to display to
    >> the user that the link is invalid so that they can change the
    >> condition so that it is valid.

    >Don't display the link. Use PHP to echo one or the other line of HTML
    >depending on whatever conditions you have. I've used this in navigation
    >lists, where if you're on the page the link points to, the link is
    >replaced with non-clickable text with a class for styling.
    >
    >Whether or not it's confusing, that depends on why you need to do this.

    I'm using this for a disc menu (not on the web), so I was thinking
    about using css to do what ever was needed. My thought was I could use
    a different css file located on the disc to control the display. The
    file name on each disc would be the same, but the content of the css
    file would be different.

    The final decision on what I do rests with the group in the company
    who decides on how applications should work, but I was looking for any
    other inputs before I ask them for their opinions. If I make a
    recommendation, they usually follow it.

    --
    Erik

    , Dec 7, 2004
  8. Barbara de Zoete

    Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions,

    >Conditions? Conditions? What on earth can that conditions bee?

    I'm building an html menu for a set of optical discs (dvd & cdrom). I
    am using the same menu for all the discs so that the user doesn't need
    to know which disc the application is on in advance, but the proper
    disc is indicated on the menu. They can place any disc in the drive to
    begin. At the moment the same menu runs from each disc, but in the
    future I want to copy the menu to the users hard drive and then
    depending on which disc is in the drive, make the proper link active.

    I envision that the user will launch the menu on their hard drive and
    then depending on which application or data that they need to use,
    they will need to place that disc in the drive. At the moment if they
    click on the link with the wrong disc in the drive, I prompt them with
    the proper disc number to place in the drive. I think it's more user
    friendly to disable the link so that the only valid links are for the
    disc which is currently in the drive. I think displaying the error
    message after they click on an invalid link isn't a good interface.

    >Change the conditions? If you are not able to provide me valid links in my
    >browsing situation, I just press the back-button and go to a rival site.

    Although I'm using this as an interface for discs, I can think of a
    couple of situations where it could be used on the web. For instance
    it could be used on a site where you pay for access to different
    features. That's why I phrased my original post the way I did, to
    allow multiple uses. Another way I could see it used on an intranet is
    only being able to access something after going through appropriate
    training for the material being linked to.

    >That must be #4 definitely. Change your page so it works in everybody's
    >browser without any hassle for the visitor.

    The menu these discs are for is only for employees so I don't need to
    worry about visitors. I tried to word my initial post so that my
    methodology wasn't the focus of the message, I'm sorry that I didn't
    succeed.

    --
    Erik

    , Dec 7, 2004
  9. Barbara de Zoete

    Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:14:09 -0500, Neal <> wrote:

    >erikd:
    >
    >> I'm using this for a disc menu (not on the web)

    >Ah, should have said. BTW, your post is time-stamped 2 hours in the
    >future...

    Sorry for being incomplete the first time around, I was trying to keep
    the focus away from the methodology of my setup so that only the link
    question was the topic.

    Thanks for letting me know about the time stamp. My system was set to
    Pacific time and I'm located in Central. It should be correct now. (a
    little embarrassing...)

    --
    Erik

    , Dec 7, 2004
  10. Barbara de Zoete

    Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:18:34 GMT, "Noozer" <> wrote:

    >"" <> wrote in message

    >> >Conditions? Conditions? What on earth can that conditions bee?

    >> I'm building an html menu for a set of optical discs (dvd & cdrom). I
    >> am using the same menu for all the discs so that the user doesn't need
    >> to know which disc the application is on in advance, but the proper
    >> disc is indicated on the menu. They can place any disc in the drive to
    >> begin. At the moment the same menu runs from each disc, but in the
    >> future I want to copy the menu to the users hard drive and then
    >> depending on which disc is in the drive, make the proper link active.

    >Wrong tool for the job. HTML won't be adequate for your task.

    OK, I'm open to suggestions. But I don't see why it won't work. For
    displaying the data, most of the documents are in PDF format and they
    seem to launch ok, whether from the web or from disc. All I need to do
    is ensure that the file links are relative and not absolute.

    The MS Office items all seem to launch OK from the html menu and the
    applications all have their own installers which can be launched.

    What am I missing? What do you see that I don't? I really thought it
    was coming together well.

    --
    Erik

    , Dec 7, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    () dropped a +5 bundle of
    words...

    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:18:34 GMT, "Noozer" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"" <> wrote in message

    > >> I'm building an html menu for a set of optical discs (dvd & cdrom). I
    > >> am using the same menu for all the discs so that the user doesn't need
    > >> to know which disc the application is on in advance, but the proper
    > >> disc is indicated on the menu. They can place any disc in the drive to
    > >> begin. At the moment the same menu runs from each disc, but in the
    > >> future I want to copy the menu to the users hard drive and then
    > >> depending on which disc is in the drive, make the proper link active.

    > >Wrong tool for the job. HTML won't be adequate for your task.

    > OK, I'm open to suggestions. But I don't see why it won't work.

    Becuse you need an actual programming language.

    take in input
    write input to drive on dvd
    if future disk equals the disk number then make the proper link active.

    HTML won't handle any of that (except for the display of the link,
    maybe). It's just a markup language. You need a by gawd programming
    language for that kind of interactivity. HTML just displays the elements
    on an .html document.

    > For
    > displaying the data, most of the documents are in PDF format and they
    > seem to launch ok, whether from the web or from disc. All I need to do
    > is ensure that the file links are relative and not absolute.

    PDF is not dependent on HTML. PDF is a different extension altogether
    for adobe acrobat documents.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Starshine Moonbeam, Dec 8, 2004
  12. Barbara de Zoete

    Andy Dingley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have a set of html pages that under certain conditions, the link
    >will be invalid. I'm wondering what is the best method to display to
    >the user that the link is invalid so that they can change the
    >condition so that it is valid.

    I've done this. With server-generated code, I produced this:

    <menu>
    </menu>

    The relevant CSS removed the underline from a disabled link inside
    <strike> and used the strike-through instead, along with a grey color
    and font-style: oblique;. As it was a regularly-visited menu, the
    normal link styling (colours, underline) was suppressed for all the
    links anyway. Work out the hrefs etc. for yourself.

    For client-side switching, I'd probably dynamically change a class
    attribute instead of using <strike>. Some doctype disciplinarians
    might prefer this anyway.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Dec 8, 2004