How to show in a datagrid columns of different datatables?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Luis Esteban Valencia, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. I have this
    i need to show the datagrid with columns of 2 datatables

    Dim myadap As New SqlDataAdapter

    myconn.Open()

    myadap.TableMappings().Add("Table", "vistaUsuarios")

    Dim mysqlcmd As New SqlCommand("select * from vistaUsuarios order by
    strnombre asc", myconn)

    mysqlcmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text

    myadap.SelectCommand = mysqlcmd

    myadap.Fill(myds)

    myconn.Close()

    Dim myadapccos As New SqlDataAdapter

    myconn2.Open()

    myadapccos.TableMappings.Add("Table", "gn_ccost")

    Dim mysqlcmdcos As New SqlCommand("select * from gn_ccost", myconn2)

    mysqlcmdcos.CommandType = CommandType.Text

    myadapccos.SelectCommand = mysqlcmdcos

    myadapccos.Fill(myds)

    myconn2.Close()

    Dim dr As DataRelation

    Dim dc1 As DataColumn

    Dim dc2 As DataColumn

    dc1 = myds.Tables("vistausuarios").Columns("strIdCentroCosto")

    dc2 = myds.Tables("gn_ccos").Columns("cos_ccos")

    dr = New System.Data.DataRelation("EmpleadosCentros", dc1, dc2)

    myds.Relations.Add(dr)

    --
    LUIS ESTEBAN VALENCIA
    MICROSOFT DCE 2.

    Luis Esteban Valencia, Sep 28, 2004

  2. Sorry, I don't totally understand the question. Can you be more specific as
    to what you're trying to do? Based on your comments, I'm guessing you're
    trying to handle a parent/child relationship in the same grid, in which case
    it's usually easier to create a *single* datasource, either by doing a join
    on the server side, or by doing the selects as you're doing them and adding
    the result of the one as a new datacolumn to the other. You can format the
    new data either when you add it to the datasource, or at run-time via
    ItemDataBound.

    Bill

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Luis Esteban Valencia

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Can't you use a JOIN in the SQL call to get the two tables to one dataset?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Sep 28, 2004
  4. I cant do the Join on the sql server because one server cant be LINKED to
    the another server.

    Luis Esteban Valencia, Sep 28, 2004
  5. No becase the servers cant be linked I have full access to one server and
    only reading to the another server.

    Luis Esteban Valencia, Sep 28, 2004
  6. If you can't do the join, then just do the two selects as you're doing, but
    add the columns from the second dataset to the first in your code.

    Is this a parent/child relationship, or a one-to-one? It doesn't really
    matter, but if it's a parent/child you need to think about how you want to
    traverse the child data (what I'll do in simple cases is add the child data
    as a single string to each parent row, e.g. Customer is the parent, Invoices
    etc. to the parent row).

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Please tell me the code to do that

    Add columns from datattable gn_ccost to the datatable vistaempleados.

    Thanks

    > If you can't do the join, then just do the two selects as you're doing,

    but
    > add the columns from the second dataset to the first in your code.
    >
    > Is this a parent/child relationship, or a one-to-one? It doesn't really
    > matter, but if it's a parent/child you need to think about how you want to
    > traverse the child data (what I'll do in simple cases is add the child

    data
    > as a single string to each parent row, e.g. Customer is the parent,

    Invoices
    > is the child, and add a string like Invoice 1<br>Invoice 2<br>Invoice

    3<br>,

    Luis Esteban Valencia, Sep 29, 2004
  8. I'm still not sure how your tables are related, but here's one "manual" way
    to do what I mean (vb syntax):

    ' Add a column to your main table. Each row will be initialized to null.
    Check out
    ' overrides of datacolumn() to create columns of certain data type, etc.
    Also look
    ' at using AddRange instead of Add.
    Dim dt As DataTable = YourDataTable1
    dt.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("MyNewColumn"))

    ' Loop through the rows in your main table, go get the matching child data,
    and add
    ' it to the new column(s) for that row.
    For Each dr As DataRow In dt.Rows
    dr("MyNewColumn") = "My additional data for this row"
    Next

    There are more efficient ways of doing this, but if your datatables are
    reasonably small this will be fine. Check out dataset.merge for one. Also,
    using datarelations will probably help.

    hth,

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=, Sep 29, 2004