How to specify default directory for saving files in IDLE

JohnJohnUSA

I am using Python IDLE 2.4.3 on Windows XP. I use File->New Windo
to create a new program. In the Save As dialog, it always takes me t
the python program directory (where python is installed). Since thi
is not where I want to save my source file, I have to select th
directory I want

Is there a way that I can have python always bring up the Save A
dialog pointing to the directory of my choice? In other words,
would like to specify what I want the default directory for savin
files to be

In addition, is there a way to get IDLE to add the extension .py t
the file name in the Save As dialog without my having to type it eac
time

Thank you in advance for your help

BartlebyScrivener

JohnJohn wrote>
Is there a way that I can have python always bring up the Save As
dialog pointing to the directory of my choice? In other words, I
would like to specify what I want the default directory for saving
files to be.

I use PythonWin, not IDLE. But I suspect you could use the same trick.
Create a shortcut on your desktop for starting IDLE. (find idle.py or
idle.bat, right click, send shortcut to desktop).

Now go to the desktop, right click on the idle shortcut, and fill in
the slot that says "Start In" with the directory where you save your
Python scripts.

Hope that helps.

rd