    browser is resized narrower than that nminimum, elasticity should end
    and the horizontal scroll bar should appear.

    It's probably simple, but I just can't find a good way to do it. Help?

    Greg N., Jul 8, 2005

  2. Greg N.

    Els Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > I've got a CSS based site that is all nicely elastic. However, when the
    > browser window gets too narrow, things get a bit ugly, if not messy.
    >
    > What I'd like to do, is somehow specify a minimum browser width. If the
    > browser is resized narrower than that nminimum, elasticity should end
    > and the horizontal scroll bar should appear.
    >
    > It's probably simple, but I just can't find a good way to do it. Help?

    min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Greg N.

    Greg N. Guest

    Els wrote:

    > min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    > For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    That's a funny statement.

    IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    Greg N., Jul 8, 2005
  4. Greg N.

    Els Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    >> For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    > That's a funny statement.
    >
    > IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    No, IE is not most browsers.
    IE may have the largest amount of installations/users, but it only is
    4 browsers. (Counting MacIE5.2, WinIE5, 5.5 and 6).
    Now count Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Konqueror, Lynx, Icab,
    and all the other ones I can't think of right now.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Greg N. wrote:
    > That's a funny statement.
    >
    > IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    IE is not a Web browser.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Greg N.

    Rovin Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > IE is not a Web browser.

    Correct, it's a bug

    Rovin, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Rovin wrote:
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >> IE is not a Web browser.

    > Correct, it's a bug

    MS bashers... how 90's...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Greg N.

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Els <>
    >
    > Greg N. wrote:
    >
    >> Els wrote:
    >>
    >>> min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    >>> For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    >> That's a funny statement.
    >>
    >> IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    > No, IE is not most browsers.

    OP was not likely meaning to be literal. It is a sort of American speak, and
    frankly I thought he put his point well and more succinctly than to spell it
    out in literal terms. What he is saying is just one step removed from the
    literal-and-true. He saying something true, relevant but no, not literal.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Greg N.

    Vladdy Guest

    Greg N. wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    >> For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    > That's a funny statement.
    >
    > IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    For the sub-par HTML renderer a.k.a. IE you can resort to their
    proprietary expression() as the CSS property value:

    width: expression((document.documentElement.clientWidth < 700?700 :
    document.documentElement.clientWidth) + "px");

    --
    Vladdy
    http://www.klproductions.com

    Vladdy, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Rovin wrote:
    >
    >> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >>
    >>> IE is not a Web browser.

    >> Correct, it's a bug

    > MS bashers... how 90's...

    So horribly-broken products magically become all right when the
    millennium (century? decade?) changes?

    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 9, 2005
  11. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>Rovin wrote:
    >>>Correct, it's a bug

    >>MS bashers... how 90's...

    > So horribly-broken products magically become all right when the
    > millennium (century? decade?) changes?

    No, Microsoft bashing is just childish and immature at best...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:

    >>> MS bashers... how 90's...

    >> So horribly-broken products magically become all right when the
    >> millennium (century? decade?) changes?

    > No, Microsoft bashing is just childish and immature at best...

    No one here has bashed Microsoft. Some of us have been criticizing one
    of its most broken products, Internet Explorer.

    Sorry. Let me start again.

    I love IE! I love screwless computer cases! I love Firestone tires! I'm
    not childish, and I know it because I love every broken product ever
    invented!

    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >>No, Microsoft bashing is just childish and immature at best...

    > No one here has bashed Microsoft. Some of us have been criticizing one
    > of its most broken products, Internet Explorer.

    "IE is not a browser"
    "No it is a bug"

    Apparently we have a different view over what bashing is. If you have a
    complaint with IE (and there are many, I only use it when the site will
    not work right with FF) then mention them. Saying "IE is not a browser"
    or "IE is a bug" is, in my opinion, bashing.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 9, 2005
  14. Greg N.

    Vladdy Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Apparently we have a different view over what bashing is. If you have a
    > complaint with IE (and there are many, I only use it when the site will
    > not work right with FF) then mention them. Saying "IE is not a browser"
    > or "IE is a bug" is, in my opinion, bashing.

    browser:
    2. a computer program used for accessing sites or information on a
    network (as the World Wide Web)

    Can IE access XML file? No. Therefore it is not a browser, but a sub par
    HTML renderer.

    --
    Vladdy
    http://www.klproductions.com

    Vladdy, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Greg N.

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Vladdy <>
    >
    > Can IE access XML file? No. Therefore it is not a browser, but a sub par
    > HTML renderer.

    This is poor reasoning... See if you can spot the error.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 9, 2005
  16. Vladdy wrote:
    > Can IE access XML file? No. Therefore it is not a browser, but a sub par
    > HTML renderer.

    Can Mozilla render PDF files natively? No. Therefor it is not a browser.

    (XML isn't a core Web technology. The core parts of HTTP which IE
    doesn't support are.)

    Leif K-Brooks, Jul 9, 2005
  17. Greg N.

    Els Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > Els was perfectly correct in his statement.

    Impossible. Would require a sex change ;)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jul 12, 2005
  18. Greg N.

    Stan McCann Guest

    "Greg N." <> wrote in news:damf4u$od8$:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> min-width:40em; works for most browsers.
    >> For IE you'll need tricks to do it.

    > That's a funny statement.
    >
    > IE *is* most browsers, like it or not.

    No, IE is the most popular browser (but slipping). There are many
    others that make up "most." Els was perfectly correct in his
    statement.

    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Jul 12, 2005
  19. Greg N.

    Els Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > Els <> wrote in
    >
    >> Stan McCann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Els was perfectly correct in his statement.

    >> Impossible. Would require a sex change ;)

    > Am I to take that as you are a her? Sorry.

    np :)
    Els is a Dutch abbreviation of Elizabeth :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jul 12, 2005