How to split huge file located on nfs using some system call.

krunalb

I have a huge file which I want to split into "n" files w/o
copying the data physically. This is normally done in unix using
splice but unfortunately splice doesn't work if file is located on
nfs.
Also each individual file should exist as an independent file that can
be later used
by other programs (and so opening single file and seeking to needed
location
and then passing fd will not help.)

Any idea how can this be achieved ?

Pascal J. Bourguignon

krunalb said:
I have a huge file which I want to split into "n" files w/o
copying the data physically. This is normally done in unix using
splice but unfortunately splice doesn't work if file is located on
nfs.
Also each individual file should exist as an independent file that can
be later used
by other programs (and so opening single file and seeking to needed
location
and then passing fd will not help.)

Any idea how can this be achieved ?

ssh unixhost splice remote-file

krunalb

- splice is not a command that I can run through command line.
- splice is unix system call.

Ian Collins

krunalb said:
- splice is not a command that I can run through command line.
- splice is unix system call.

And this isn't a Unix group, please don't multi-post!

Jorgen Grahn

And this isn't a Unix group, please don't multi-post!

I have to add though that it's not even a Unix system call.
splice(2) seems to have appeared fairly recently, and in Linux only.

/Jorgen