    according to USPS publication 28, or something like that.

    Anyone done such a task?

    Thanks
    John Smith, Mar 21, 2007

  2. John Smith wrote:
    > I am looking at standardizing addresses in an Oracle database. I think the
    > best way to do this is going to be a java utility. Before I go and do a
    > whole bunch. Does anyone know of any code that has already been writen to do
    > such a task? Either in java or PL/SQL.
    >
    > I don't need to verfiy the address exists or is correct, just standardize it
    > according to USPS publication 28, or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone done such a task?
    >
    > Thanks

    What's wrong with enforcing the format within the input interface?

    Create your GUI so that it creates addresses that conform to the
    standard format. Use comboboxes so you dictate how a street can be
    abbreviated or an apartment number can be specified. If you can't do
    that then you need to specify your problem a bit better. I doubt java is
    going to be fast enough for you (then again, maybe you don't need speed).
    Brandon McCombs, Mar 22, 2007

  3. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    We don't have a gui. We have multiable ways of importing data into the
    database.

    Speed isn't import.

    We do inforce fields ie Street, city, state zip.

    But we need to format the fields ie Street needs to be checked for North or
    West and changed to N W you get my point.

    There is a publication that the USPS wrote on standard formating for
    addresses. And some comerical products that do formating and validating. But
    we don't need the validating address which is more costly.

    Speed is not a huge deal as we can spread the processes to other machines as
    well.

    Thanks

    John Smith, Mar 22, 2007
  4. John Smith wrote:
    > I am looking at standardizing addresses in an Oracle database. I think the
    > best way to do this is going to be a java utility. Before I go and do a
    > whole bunch. Does anyone know of any code that has already been writen to do
    > such a task? Either in java or PL/SQL.
    >
    > I don't need to verfiy the address exists or is correct, just standardize it
    > according to USPS publication 28, or something like that.
    >
    > Anyone done such a task?
    >
    > Thanks

    If the database might contain any international addresses, then I
    suggest that you don't bother trying to standardise them. Your chances
    of getting it right are near zero.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Mar 22, 2007