    Katharina Guest

    How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet Explorer
    without installed Apache Web server?

    Katharina, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Katharina

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Katharina wrote:

    > How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet Explorer
    > without installed Apache Web server?

    Internet Explorer cannot execute CGI scripts.

    --
    Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Katharina

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Katharina schreef:

    > How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet
    > Explorer without installed Apache Web server?

    I assume: s/form/from/

    This is a way:

    Perl should be installed locally (on the machine where the browser is
    running).

    Make the link in the HTML-document point to an existing local file, like
    file://C:/perl/eg/example.pl

    If you see a flashing black box where you expected some output, add a
    line to the Perl application that makes it wait for a while and/or a key
    stroke, before returning.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Sep 23, 2005
  4. Katharina

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    [OT] run .pl from IE (was: Re: How to start Perl application form HTML...)

    Brian Wakem:
    > Katharina:

    >> How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet
    >> Explorer without installed Apache Web server?

    > Internet Explorer cannot execute CGI scripts.

    Well, I have seen it run sed code:
    http://lvogel.free.fr/jsed/index.html

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Sep 23, 2005
  5. Katharina

    Scott Bryce Guest

    Re: How to start Perl application form HTML document, with InternetExplorer without installed Apache Web server?

    Katharina wrote:

    > How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet Explorer
    > without installed Apache Web server?

    I'm guessing that what you want to do is run a Perl CGI script on a
    machine that does not have Apache installed.

    If I am correct, you will need to have a web server running on the
    machine where the Perl script is to be run as a CGI script.

    Scott Bryce, Sep 23, 2005
  6. Sherm Pendley, Sep 23, 2005
  7. Katharina wrote:
    > How to start Perl application form HTML document, with Internet
    > Explorer without installed Apache Web server?

    The way you phrased your question it doesn't make any sense.

    You start a Perl script interactively bey entering its name on the command
    line or maybe by clicking on the icon in a GUI or programatically from
    another application, etc.

    HTML forms do not start any program and neither does IE (well, except for
    ActiveX Controls). What they do is submit an HTTP request to a web server
    and wait for response.
    Just think about it: someone could write a simple HTML document, that would
    be able to launch any program like e.g. "format" or "rm". Would you want to
    use a browser that allows that?

    As for the Apache Web server: you don't need Apache to run Perl applications
    or to run IE or to view HTML forms. For submitting HTML forms you need to
    connect to some web server somewhere, but that has nothing to do with Perl.

    Therefore the way you combined those four components in your question (Perl,
    HTML forms, IE, Apache) doesn't make sense because they have nothing to do
    with each other.

    I am sensing an X-Y problem here. You want to solve problem X, believe that
    Y is the best way to do it, and therefore you are asking about how to do Y.
    What is th original X that you are trying to solve? Chances are it is much
    easier to solve that problem than the riddle of your question Y above.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 25, 2005