how to start?

Stjepan F.

Hy,
i wanna make something for my gaming server with xml.We have statitstic
about player,kills etc ,but we have to do that update manualy from xls
file.I wanna make that all those statistic are updated regulary and refresh
once in 24h period...
Any suggestions?
Tenx

[on]

So all the statisics are in XLS (Excel) format ?
Or are they stored in a usable format before the XLS ?

Stjepan F.

So all the statisics are in XLS (Excel) format ?
Or are they stored in a usable format before the XLS ?

no,original log is in txt format and then we put him into xls and on the
web.i wanna skip that step,so that server using xml protocol sends this log
directly on the web once in 24h...like update...
what do u think about that?

Joseph Kesselman

Stjepan said:
i wanna skip that step,so that server using xml protocol sends this log
directly on the web once in 24h...like update...

Sounds like a straightforward coding problem.

Presumably you know what your logs look like and have code for reading them.

Decide how you want the XML version to be structured (which depends in
part on what you want to do with it).

Write a routine which reads the former and writes out the latter. How
best to tackle that depends on the former two steps and how comfortable
you are thinking about constructing events on the fly and keeping them
balanced properly (SAX) versus building up a tree representation in
memory (DOM) and then writing it all out in one swell foop.

Then arrange for that task to run once a day, which is a server
configuration issue.

Stjepan F.

Joseph Kesselman said:
Sounds like a straightforward coding problem.

Presumably you know what your logs look like and have code for reading them.

Decide how you want the XML version to be structured (which depends in
part on what you want to do with it).

Write a routine which reads the former and writes out the latter. How
best to tackle that depends on the former two steps and how comfortable
you are thinking about constructing events on the fly and keeping them
balanced properly (SAX) versus building up a tree representation in
memory (DOM) and then writing it all out in one swell foop.

Then arrange for that task to run once a day, which is a server
configuration issue.

nice answer..there is one problem..those logs are saving all the things that
happens on server,chat,statitistics who entered the chat ,when and similar
stuff...the log file is sometime around 200MB..is it possible to do that
update only of the things i want to?like kill ratio etc?

Joseph Kesselman

Stjepan said:
the log file is sometime around 200MB..is it possible to do that
update only of the things i want to?like kill ratio etc?

You should do that filtering in the code you write to read the logfile,
before rendering the "interesting" information into XML. Programming
problem, not XML problem.

(Yes, you could do that filtering after converting everything into XML,
but doing it as close to the source as possible yields the most
efficient solution.)

Stjepan F.

Joseph Kesselman said:
You should do that filtering in the code you write to read the logfile,
before rendering the "interesting" information into XML. Programming
problem, not XML problem.

probably C++ or Java will come in handy..
(Yes, you could do that filtering after converting everything into XML,
but doing it as close to the source as possible yields the most
efficient solution.)

how do u think "close to the source"?