How to start?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Uran, Apr 1, 2009.

  1. Uran

    Uran Guest

    Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name) and a space
    of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear idea what to do with
    it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to be posted, then I should
    just do it; but, before doing it I should create a page. As for now, there
    is not one character used yet; I am posting them outside.

    1. How do I start, do I open Notepad or Word-pad, DOS or what, to write the
    page down in HTML code?

    2. How do I check it for correctness on my computer, before I post it?

    However, I would like to be able to stick with my essays only, and to have
    someone capable and willing to take care of creating a template for a web
    page, which I would be filling with the text, and possibly with a picture at
    times. I would pay that person, but in terms that are possible for me to do
    that: not up front. Since I have no money, even though I might appear as a
    financially rich person; I may be rich in a spiritual way, but financially I
    have nothing, because I spend everything on my projects, I can pay either
    from my pension or from the money that hits the bank account later.

    If anyone is there that cares to bother to read my blogs is welcome to read
    them; so, if that person wants to jump onto the bandwagon, is most welcome.

    Regards,

    Bruno.
    mail to:
    http://hrvatum94.blogspot.com
    http://brunohrust.blogspot.com
    Uran, Apr 1, 2009

  2. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <gqva25$ei7$>,
    "Uran" <> wrote:

    > Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name) and a space
    > of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear idea what to do with
    > it;

    Sounds like a form of self treatment - retail therapy.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2009

  3. Uran wrote:

    > Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name)

    That's been registered since May of 2006. Are you just now getting
    around to using it? (That's an odd name to choose...)

    > and a space of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear
    > idea what to do with it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to
    > be posted, then I should just do it; but, before doing it I should
    > create a page. As for now, there is not one character used yet; I am
    > posting them outside.
    >
    > 1. How do I start, do I open Notepad or Word-pad, DOS or what, to write the
    > page down in HTML code?

    Since you seem to be a complete beginner, how about starting with a
    tutorial? This one is oft recommended:
    http://htmldog.com/

    > 2. How do I check it for correctness on my computer, before I post it?

    http://validator.w3.org/

    The rest of your post should be re-asked after you have basic knowledge
    of how web pages (and sites) are constructed.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2009
  4. Uran

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Apr 1, 7:53 pm, "Uran" <> wrote:
    > Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name) and a space
    > of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear idea what to do with
    > it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to be posted, then I should
    > just do it; but, before doing it I should create a page. As for now, there
    > is not one character used yet; I am posting them outside.
    >
    > 1. How do I start, do I open Notepad or Word-pad, DOS or what, to write the
    > page down in HTML code?
    >
    > 2. How do I check it for correctness on my computer, before I post it?
    >
    > However, I would like to be able to stick with my essays only, and to have
    > someone capable and willing to take care of creating a template for a web
    > page, which I would be filling with the text, and possibly with a picture at
    > times. I would pay that person, but in terms that are possible for me to do
    > that: not up front. Since I have no money, even though I might appear as a
    > financially rich person; I may be rich in a spiritual way, but financially I
    > have nothing, because I spend everything on my projects, I can pay either
    > from my pension or from the money that hits the bank account later.

    What kind of projects are we talking about?
    In other words, what is the website for exactly? Is it a personal
    site?.
    Most designers will ask for up to 50% of the overall website payment
    up-front, as a deposit.

    Chaddy2222, Apr 1, 2009
  5. Uran

    freemont Guest

    On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:09:01 +0800, Bruno HRUST writ:

    > I am talking about project(s) that are generally not understood and
    > people think that I am a nutcase, for which I do understand them, but
    > some of them do get carried away and bite on me more than necessary: it
    > is about saving a world ... or one can put it of saving myself wrom the
    > world as it is now.

    ooooooook...
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 1, 2009
  6. Uran

    William Gill Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Are you and "Uran" the same person?

    This being the first of April and all. To (mis)quote the Bard..
    "Me thinks" "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"

    I suspect this author was also known here by another name.
    William Gill, Apr 1, 2009
  7. On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:53:05 +0800, "Uran" <> wrote:

    >Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name) and a space
    >of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear idea what to do with
    >it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to be posted, then I should
    >just do it; but, before doing it I should create a page. As for now, there
    >is not one character used yet; I am posting them outside.

    First April posting ? :)
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 1, 2009
  8. Uran

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:04:29 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Uran wrote:
    >
    >> Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name)

    >That's been registered since May of 2006. Are you just now getting
    >around to using it? (That's an odd name to choose...)
    >
    >> and a space of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear
    >> idea what to do with it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to
    >> be posted, then I should just do it; but, before doing it I should
    >> create a page. As for now, there is not one character used yet; I am
    >> posting them outside.
    >>
    >> 1. How do I start, do I open Notepad or Word-pad, DOS or what, to write the
    >> page down in HTML code?

    >Since you seem to be a complete beginner, how about starting with a
    >tutorial? This one is oft recommended:
    >http://htmldog.com/
    >
    >> 2. How do I check it for correctness on my computer, before I post it?

    >http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    >The rest of your post should be re-asked after you have basic knowledge
    >of how web pages (and sites) are constructed.

    May 2006 is about the time the tld was introduced. Most likely
    mydomain.name is NOT owned by the poster but used as a reference.

    As many people use mydomain.com and yourdomain.com freely even though
    both have been properly registered.
    richard, Apr 1, 2009
  9. On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 02:31:08 +0800, "Bruno HRUST"
    <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:53:05 +0800, "Uran" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name) and a
    >>> space of 40MB/month with 200 GB bandwidth, but have not clear idea
    >>> what to do with it; I suppose, when I make the web page ready to be
    >>> posted, then I should just do it; but, before doing it I should
    >>> create a page. As for now, there is not one character used yet; I am
    >>> posting them outside.
    >>>

    >> First April posting ? :)

    >No, I have just manage to edit some material by help of FrontPage editor and
    >now have to work out the FileZila browser and soon my first page will
    >appear -- in black and white if necessary, and without tabs, but will be OK.
    >Later will add colour and tabs.

    That' spretty good, but you will not create a good site readable by
    most browsers if you use " FrontPage editor".
    Raymond Schmit, Apr 1, 2009
  10. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > >No, I have just manage to edit some material by help of FrontPage editor and
    > >now have to work out the FileZila browser and soon my first page will
    > >appear -- in black and white if necessary, and without tabs, but will be OK.
    > >Later will add colour and tabs.

    and layers of course... This is an exciting development. Please keep us
    informed of your every move.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 1, 2009
  11. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>Uran wrote:
    >>> Some time ago, I have bought a domain name (www.mydomain.name)

    >> That's been registered since May of 2006. Are you just now getting
    >> around to using it? (That's an odd name to choose...)

    > May 2006 is about the time the tld was introduced.

    I'd wager the TLD was introduced even before Sir Tim ever published the
    very first web page... <lol>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee
    if you didn't know who Sir Tim is.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-level_domain

    > Most likely mydomain.name is NOT owned by the poster but used as a
    > reference.

    Duh!

    > As many people use mydomain.com and yourdomain.com freely even though
    > both have been properly registered.

    Of course. And everyone who uses someone else's registered domain name,
    either as Uran did, or as a munge to an email address, they do a
    disservice to that owner.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 1, 2009
  12. Bruno HRUST wrote:

    > I suspect that FrontPage is the tool for building a page

    Bruno, I suspect you will not find much favor for FrontPlague in these
    groups. A lot of us compose our pages with simple text editors.

    Have you visited the tutorial I recommended? http://htmldog.com/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 2, 2009
  13. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > and layers of course... This is an exciting development. Please keep
    > > us informed of your every move.

    > First, if a damage is caused to the owner of www.mydomain.name (not ".com",
    > if you would not mind), then I am sorry; but, all the same, there is no list
    > on the web that indicates sites that are not taken, that is registered. My
    > only purpose was not to let the cat out of the bag; I sincerely hope that
    > one can be easily, without much fuss, forgiven for a crime like that. J

    Don't worry about it. I approve of secrets. Will your site be for a
    one-man business of some kind?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2009
  14. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,

    > >> First, if a damage is caused to the owner of www.mydomain.name (not
    > >> ".com", if you would not mind), then I am sorry; but, all the same,
    > >> there is no list on the web that indicates sites that are not taken,
    > >> that is registered. My only purpose was not to let the cat out of
    > >> the bag; I sincerely hope that one can be easily, without much fuss,
    > >> forgiven for a crime like that. J
    > >>

    > > Don't worry about it. I approve of secrets. Will your site be for a
    > > one-man business of some kind?

    > This below is a copy/paste from the page that I am working on. I is meant to
    > include everyone who understand in the projects, and also those individuals
    > who do not understand but are willing to take part in it; not many
    > understand today's meaning of life or politics, but are involved in it in
    > some way.
    >
    > "I am talking about projects that are generally not understood and people
    > think that I am a nutcase, for which I do understand them and blaming them
    > not for it, but some of them do get carried away and bite on me more than
    > necessary: it is about saving the world ... or, one can put it, of saving
    > myself from the world as it is now." That was my short reply to a person met
    > at Usenet. Not many shall really understand this written here, and reasons
    > are too many to spell them all; and I am really not aiming at those
    > individuals who for some reason do not understand it, but rather at those
    > few that will understand ... and help me with the bundle; because they have
    > no choice, it is written that they are destined to go my way, to go with me.
    > It is those saintly individuals upon whom I shall build my church, and new
    > life for a new humankind.

    May I suggest you start, then, with a very simple template. You want to
    say things, so a simple set of headings and paragraphs should do you.
    Headings are very important because they assist people, especially blind
    people, to understand your offering better. This sort of thing to begin
    with:

    <head>
    <title>Bruno's plan to save the world anf himself</title>
    body {margin: .5em 2em .5em 2em;}
    </head>
    <h1>Main heading</h1>
    <h2>First second level heading</h2>
    <h2>Second second level heading</h2>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2009
  15. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article <>,

    That should have read:

    dorayme, Apr 2, 2009
  16. Uran

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Bruno HRUST" <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> and layers of course... This is an exciting development. Please keep
    >>> us informed of your every move.

    >> First, if a damage is caused to the owner of www.mydomain.name (not
    >> ".com", if you would not mind), then I am sorry; but, all the same,
    >> there is no list on the web that indicates sites that are not taken,
    >> that is registered. My only purpose was not to let the cat out of
    >> the bag; I sincerely hope that one can be easily, without much fuss,
    >> forgiven for a crime like that. J
    >>

    > Don't worry about it. I approve of secrets. Will your site be for a
    > one-man business of some kind?

    Before you go any further with this m'dear (and everybody else for that
    matter) you may care to type the words "bruno" and "hrust" into your google
    search box.
    rf, Apr 2, 2009
  17. Uran

    dorayme Guest

    In article <xTZAl.330$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > Before you go any further with this ...(and everybody else for that
    > matter) you may care to type the words "bruno" and "hrust" into your google
    > search box.

    OK, thanks, I did and it looks ugly. I'm out of here. It never occurred
    to me that there would be bad things lurking here...

    In an innocent way, I just thought maybe it was Luigi on a Second
    Coming. But Luigi's greatest crime, poor feller, was to test Jonathan
    Little's patience rather a lot (as I recall) <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 2, 2009
  18. Uran

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <xTZAl.330$>,
    > > "rf" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Before you go any further with this ...(and everybody else for that
    > >> matter) you may care to type the words "bruno" and "hrust" into
    > >> your google search box.

    > > OK, thanks, I did and it looks ugly. I'm out of here. It never
    > > occurred to me that there would be bad things lurking here...
    > >
    > > In an innocent way, I just thought maybe it was Luigi on a Second
    > > Coming. But Luigi's greatest crime, poor feller, was to test Jonathan
    > > Little's patience rather a lot (as I recall) <g>

    > Very scary, huh?

    Looks like a big scam. Send me $10,000 and I'll say a special prayer
    for you. What's sad is that there are many desperate individuals that
    believe your BS.

    You seem to have a problem with Jews. Any other races/religions that
    you feel you are above?

    Don't bother replying, you're in my killfile.
    SAZ, Apr 2, 2009