    out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.

    Hans

    me, Jun 3, 2005

  2. me wrote:

    > How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    > Do i have to use javascript? Or...?

    It would be very difficult to detect, if not impossible. If you use
    JavaScript, then you can probably check if your page is at the top level
    and if not, re-direct somewhere else or generate garbage.

    > I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    > out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    This depends on your site. If they put your on-line store catalogue in a
    frame, would you mind? Do you have bandwidth restrictions? Are you being
    referenced by sites that are not decent?

    Google Images and Google Translations use this frame behaviour. Will you
    want to stop them too?

    > What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.
    >
    > Hans

    Again, it depends on your interests and the nature of your site.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Jun 3, 2005

  3. me

    Spartanicus Guest

    "me" <> wrote:

    >How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >Do i have to use javascript?

    if (window != top)
    top.location.href=location.href

    >I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    >out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?
    >
    >What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.

    Users that access your content via another site can't bookmark that view
    with your content in it, waste of screen space etc.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jun 3, 2005
  4. me wrote:
    > How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    > Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    > I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    > out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > me wrote:
    >
    >> How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >> Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    >> I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to
    >> figure out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop
    >> them...?

    > I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    Please be a bit descriptive. What part of the original query you don't buy?

    Best regards,
    Animesh

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 3, 2005
  6. me

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Travis Newbury* wrote:
    > me wrote:
    >> How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >> Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    >> I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    >> out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    > I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    I can find that kind of frameing many times per week, and I don't mean
    the Google Images and Translations frameing. I also use Javascript on
    my sites to prevent them to be framed. I know it don't work for
    everyone but for most visitors to get my sites unframed by some other
    frameset site.

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.

    Arne, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Arne wrote:
    >>>How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >>>Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    >>>I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    >>>out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    >>I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    > I can find that kind of frameing many times per week,

    Show me an example. Sorry, I just don't buy the fact that someone wants
    to frame site you made. (let alone you found it). It is nothing against
    you personally, but I want to see an example of a site that stole a site
    you created. Show me a site you did not fabricate and I will say "Damn,
    'Im sorry, I was wrong..."

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Animesh Kumar wrote:
    >>> How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >>> Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    >>> I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to
    >>> figure out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop
    >>> them...?

    >> I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    > Please be a bit descriptive. What part of the original query you don't buy?

    I want to see an example of where someone framed your site.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  9. me

    me Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> schreef in bericht
    > me wrote:
    >> How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
    >> Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
    >> I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
    >> out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

    > I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    Why should you not buy it????

    For instance

    http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.cobweb.nl/jmoonen/

    And it even uses an old version of my site...

    Hans

    me, Jun 4, 2005
  10. me wrote:
    >>I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    > Why should you not buy it????
    > For instance
    > http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.cobweb.nl/jmoonen/
    > And it even uses an old version of my site...

    Damn,
    http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.microsoft.com
    they are stealing Microsoft too...

    If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it. If
    you want them to link to your site but just not in a frame, then tough,
    that's not how they work.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  11. me

    > me wrote:
    >>>I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    >> Why should you not buy it????
    >> For instance
    >> http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.cobweb.nl/jmoonen/
    >> And it even uses an old version of my site...

    > Damn,
    > http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.microsoft.com
    > they are stealing Microsoft too...
    >
    > If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it. If you
    > want them to link to your site but just not in a frame, then tough, that's
    > not how they work.
    >
    > --
    > -=tn=-

    I feel you suggest that i just fill in my link in the about.com link?

    If you make a google search with my major keywords (that many of my visitors
    use to get to my homepage), you get this:

    http://www.google.nl/search?sourcei...LD:en&q=psychology propaganda leaflets of ww2

    On my searchscreen, my homepage appears on top. The bottom one is from
    about.com and links to their pages with mine in it. And their is no OWN
    content of about.com their in that bottom link. Only from others.
    About.com directs people to their site by using other peoples content.

    Hans

    me, Jun 4, 2005
  12. me

    Arne Guest

    >>>I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    > > I can find that kind of frameing many times per week,

    > Show me an example. Sorry, I just don't buy the fact that someone wants
    > to frame site you made. (let alone you found it). It is nothing against
    > you personally, but I want to see an example of a site that stole a site
    > you created. Show me a site you did not fabricate and I will say "Damn,
    > 'Im sorry, I was wrong..."

    My pages is not framed by anyone (as I know of). If somebody try they
    will see that it don't work, because (as I said) I prevent the pages
    to be framed.

    What I mean with saying I see that kind of framing a lot, is that
    sites built with frameset do often link to other sites pages so they
    load within their own frame. Often because of stupidity or omission,
    but also deliberately.

    And I don't belive big company sites do that, it's mostly small and
    not commercial sites (e.g. personal).

    Arne, Jun 4, 2005
  13. me wrote:

    >>If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it. If you
    >>want them to link to your site but just not in a frame, then tough, that's
    >>not how they work.

    > I feel you suggest that i just fill in my link in the about.com link?

    No Hans, I am suggesting to you that if you do not like what about.com
    is doing, then write them and it will stop. If you on the other hand
    want them to link to your site, then you have to deal with it in a
    frame. That is the way they do it.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  14. Arne wrote:
    > And I don't belive big company sites do that, it's mostly small and
    > not commercial sites (e.g. personal).

    See that's why I think it is not an issue. If it is just small personal
    sites doing this, does it really matter? Even the cheapest hosts give
    you 50gig of transfer a month. If your pages are 500k each that is
    still 100,000 page hits a month (and I am sure your pages are not 500k each)

    That's all I am saying. I just don't think it is a big deal that anyone
    would want to take more than a microsecond worrying about it.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  15. me

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *Travis Newbury* wrote:

    > Arne wrote:
    >> And I don't belive big company sites do that, it's mostly small and
    >> not commercial sites (e.g. personal).

    > See that's why I think it is not an issue. If it is just small personal
    > sites doing this, does it really matter? Even the cheapest hosts give
    > you 50gig of transfer a month. If your pages are 500k each that is
    > still 100,000 page hits a month (and I am sure your pages are not 500k each)
    >
    > That's all I am saying. I just don't think it is a big deal that anyone
    > would want to take more than a microsecond worrying about it.

    I have not said it's a big deal, just that framing exist since you
    don't wanted to belive it.

    <cite from a erlier post on this thread>

    You wrote:
    >I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

    </cite>

    Anyway, I don't like to have my pages framed within somebody else site
    where it gives the impression the page is a part of that site, who
    ever owns the site in question. And it's not just small personal
    sites, even if they are not commercial (business) sites. That's the
    reason I have the script to prevent sutch things.

    Arne, Jun 4, 2005
  16. Arne wrote:
    > Anyway, I don't like to have my pages framed within somebody else site
    > where it gives the impression the page is a part of that site, who
    > ever owns the site in question. And it's not just small personal
    > sites, even if they are not commercial (business) sites. That's the
    > reason I have the script to prevent sutch things.

    Yea, what ever...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jun 4, 2005
  17. Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > me wrote:
    > > For instance
    > > http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.cobweb.nl
    > > /jmoonen/
    > > And it even uses an old version of my site...

    > Damn,
    > http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.microsoft.c
    > om
    > they are stealing Microsoft too...

    Giggle.

    > If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it.

    (Jesus, I hate About.com, but I digress...) An e-mail might stop it, and
    it might not hurt to suggest they go to a little more effort to properly
    identify the page being framed. E.g., comparing Google's image search to
    this About.com example, I see that About.com is using "their" part of
    the frameset for advertising, while Google uses their part to fully
    identify the page being framed and to acknowledge possible third-party
    copyright on the page contents. I don't mind Google's approach -- credit
    given where credit is due -- but About.com's is sleazy.

    All that said, whether they hit your site directly, or hit it via
    someone else's frameset, your visitors are still hitting _your_ site and
    enjoying (hopefully) the content you've created. They'll probably come
    and go without ever knowing your name, and weren't planning on sending
    you cash or bouquets of flowers anyway, so what really _is_ the big deal
    about whether the page is framed or not? For a personal site, it's
    little more than pride at stake. Life might be more enjoyable if you
    don't worry about that quite so much.

    --
    Joel.

    Joel Shepherd, Jun 4, 2005
  18. me

    me Guest

    >> If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it.
    >
    > (Jesus, I hate About.com, but I digress...) An e-mail might stop it, and
    > it might not hurt to suggest they go to a little more effort to properly
    > identify the page being framed. E.g., comparing Google's image search to
    > this About.com example, I see that About.com is using "their" part of
    > the frameset for advertising, while Google uses their part to fully
    > identify the page being framed and to acknowledge possible third-party
    > copyright on the page contents. I don't mind Google's approach -- credit
    > given where credit is due -- but About.com's is sleazy.
    >
    > All that said, whether they hit your site directly, or hit it via
    > someone else's frameset, your visitors are still hitting _your_ site and
    > enjoying (hopefully) the content you've created. They'll probably come
    > and go without ever knowing your name, and weren't planning on sending
    > you cash or bouquets of flowers anyway, so what really _is_ the big deal
    > about whether the page is framed or not? For a personal site, it's
    > little more than pride at stake. Life might be more enjoyable if you
    > don't worry about that quite so much.
    >
    > --
    > Joel.

    After looking into it a little further, I agree Joel. ;-)
    Also noticed that about.com added a button to remove "their" top frame. But,
    at that moment, they had the chance to show their ads than already.

    Hans

    me, Jun 4, 2005