how to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?

me

How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
Do i have to use javascript? Or...?

I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.

Hans

Roy Schestowitz

me said:
How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
Do i have to use javascript? Or...?

It would be very difficult to detect, if not impossible. If you use
JavaScript, then you can probably check if your page is at the top level
and if not, re-direct somewhere else or generate garbage.
I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

This depends on your site. If they put your on-line store catalogue in a
frame, would you mind? Do you have bandwidth restrictions? Are you being
referenced by sites that are not decent?

Google Images and Google Translations use this frame behaviour. Will you
want to stop them too?
What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.

Hans

Again, it depends on your interests and the nature of your site.

Roy

Spartanicus

me said:
How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
Do i have to use javascript?

if (window != top)
top.location.href=location.href
I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

What are the pro's and cons for me if people do that.

Users that access your content via another site can't bookmark that view
with your content in it, waste of screen space etc.

Travis Newbury

me said:
How to stop people to open my pages in a frame on their page?
Do i have to use javascript? Or...?
I noticed some people doing that with my pages. And I am trying to figure
out how to stop them AND I try to figure out IF I should stop them...?

I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

Animesh Kumar

Travis said:
I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

Please be a bit descriptive. What part of the original query you don't buy?

Best regards,
Animesh

Arne

Once said:
I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?

I can find that kind of frameing many times per week, and I don't mean
the Google Images and Translations frameing. I also use Javascript on
my sites to prevent them to be framed. I know it don't work for
everyone but for most visitors to get my sites unframed by some other
frameset site.

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Travis Newbury

Arne said:
I can find that kind of frameing many times per week,

Show me an example. Sorry, I just don't buy the fact that someone wants
to frame site you made. (let alone you found it). It is nothing against
you personally, but I want to see an example of a site that stole a site
you created. Show me a site you did not fabricate and I will say "Damn,
'Im sorry, I was wrong..."

Travis Newbury

Animesh said:
Please be a bit descriptive. What part of the original query you don't buy?

I want to see an example of where someone framed your site.

Travis Newbury

me

Travis Newbury said:
Damn,
http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.microsoft.com
they are stealing Microsoft too...

If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it. If you
want them to link to your site but just not in a frame, then tough, that's
not how they work.

I feel you suggest that i just fill in my link in the about.com link?

If you make a google search with my major keywords (that many of my visitors
use to get to my homepage), you get this:

http://www.google.nl/search?sourcei...LD:en&q=psychology+propaganda+leaflets+of+ww2

On my searchscreen, my homepage appears on top. The bottom one is from
about.com and links to their pages with mine in it. And their is no OWN
content of about.com their in that bottom link. Only from others.
About.com directs people to their site by using other peoples content.

Hans

Arne

Once said:
Show me an example. Sorry, I just don't buy the fact that someone wants
to frame site you made. (let alone you found it). It is nothing against
you personally, but I want to see an example of a site that stole a site
you created. Show me a site you did not fabricate and I will say "Damn,
'Im sorry, I was wrong..."

My pages is not framed by anyone (as I know of). If somebody try they
will see that it don't work, because (as I said) I prevent the pages
to be framed.

What I mean with saying I see that kind of framing a lot, is that
sites built with frameset do often link to other sites pages so they
load within their own frame. Often because of stupidity or omission,
but also deliberately.

And I don't belive big company sites do that, it's mostly small and
not commercial sites (e.g. personal).

--

me said:
I feel you suggest that i just fill in my link in the about.com link?

No Hans, I am suggesting to you that if you do not like what about.com
is doing, then write them and it will stop. If you on the other hand
want them to link to your site, then you have to deal with it in a
frame. That is the way they do it.

Travis Newbury

Arne said:
And I don't belive big company sites do that, it's mostly small and
not commercial sites (e.g. personal).

See that's why I think it is not an issue. If it is just small personal
sites doing this, does it really matter? Even the cheapest hosts give
you 50gig of transfer a month. If your pages are 500k each that is
still 100,000 page hits a month (and I am sure your pages are not 500k each)

That's all I am saying. I just don't think it is a big deal that anyone
would want to take more than a microsecond worrying about it.

Arne

Once said:
See that's why I think it is not an issue. If it is just small personal
sites doing this, does it really matter? Even the cheapest hosts give
you 50gig of transfer a month. If your pages are 500k each that is
still 100,000 page hits a month (and I am sure your pages are not 500k each)

That's all I am saying. I just don't think it is a big deal that anyone
would want to take more than a microsecond worrying about it.

I have not said it's a big deal, just that framing exist since you
don't wanted to belive it.

I don't buy it. Who have you noticed doing that?
</cite>

Anyway, I don't like to have my pages framed within somebody else site
where it gives the impression the page is a part of that site, who
ever owns the site in question. And it's not just small personal
sites, even if they are not commercial (business) sites. That's the
reason I have the script to prevent sutch things.

--

Arne said:
Anyway, I don't like to have my pages framed within somebody else site
where it gives the impression the page is a part of that site, who
ever owns the site in question. And it's not just small personal
sites, even if they are not commercial (business) sites. That's the
reason I have the script to prevent sutch things.

Yea, what ever...

Joel Shepherd

Travis Newbury said:
Damn,
http://psychology.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.microsoft.c
om
they are stealing Microsoft too...
Giggle.

If about.com is "really" doing this, a simple email will stop it.

(Jesus, I hate About.com, but I digress...) An e-mail might stop it, and
it might not hurt to suggest they go to a little more effort to properly
identify the page being framed. E.g., comparing Google's image search to
this About.com example, I see that About.com is using "their" part of
the frameset for advertising, while Google uses their part to fully
identify the page being framed and to acknowledge possible third-party
copyright on the page contents. I don't mind Google's approach -- credit
given where credit is due -- but About.com's is sleazy.

All that said, whether they hit your site directly, or hit it via
someone else's frameset, your visitors are still hitting _your_ site and
enjoying (hopefully) the content you've created. They'll probably come
and go without ever knowing your name, and weren't planning on sending
you cash or bouquets of flowers anyway, so what really _is_ the big deal
about whether the page is framed or not? For a personal site, it's
little more than pride at stake. Life might be more enjoyable if you
don't worry about that quite so much.

me

[...]

After looking into it a little further, I agree Joel. ;-)
Also noticed that about.com added a button to remove "their" top frame. But,
at that moment, they had the chance to show their ads than already.

Hans