How to store range iterator?

Discussion in 'C++' started by toton, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. toton

    toton Guest

    Hi,
    I have a view class for a vector, which stores different range for a
    few vectors, and provides a way to iterate over the range.
    The range class takes a pair of iterator, as given in post
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...1231f?lnk=gst&q=range&rnum=2#a282fc1288b1231f

    However, as the range class do not have a default ctor, and range is
    not known when view class is constructed I can not initialize range
    class at initialization list.Thus I need to store range class pointer
    inside view class. When I want to set a new range for the view class, I
    use,

    void CC::setPtuRange(const PointRange& range){
    if(!_reconstructedPoints)
    _reconstructedPoints = new PointRange(range);
    }
    where _reconstructedPoints is a range class for CC (member variable).
    Also I set it only once (but not at constructor). At constructor it is
    initialized as NULL & destructor deleted.
    Also when I return the range class, I use
    PointRange CC::points()const{
    return *_reconstructedPoints;
    }
    PointRange is typedef as
    typedef PointBuffer::const_iterator PointIterator;
    typedef range<PointIterator> PointRange
    where PointBuffer is a vector<Point>
    My questions are,
    1) is it valid to return a value for the pointer with dereferencing
    operator? Or I need to return a pointer directly?
    2) can I also return a a reference? What is the best way to do it?
    Thanks for any help .

    toton, Sep 5, 2006