how to study java

Lew

wiesin said:
can seasoned developer teach me how to study java

Continuously for the rest of your career. :)

Start with the Java tutorials:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html

They're simple and a bit limited, but that's what tutorials are for.

There's more documentation from Oracle at:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/index.html

Do exercises - write simple programs. For hints on how to do that see:
http://home.earthlink.net/~patricia_shanahan/beginner.html

I'm not too familiar with the starter books. /Java in 21 Days/ helped me back
in the 90s; others in this forum will probably chime in with recommendations.

To master the language you will need to own and study /Effective Java/ by
Joshua Bloch:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/

By the way, the name of the language is "Java", not "java".

Travers Naran

Read some books about Java.

And practice.

After 5-10 years you will be good at it.

I disagree. In 5 years, they'll radically change everything you need to
know to be a Java programmer and you're back to square one. :)

Arne Vajhøj

I disagree. In 5 years, they'll radically change everything you need to
know to be a Java programmer and you're back to square one. :)

Not at all.

Java is pretty good at keeping compatible, so old stuff will
still work.

And Java is somewhat mature, so it is not changing so
fast anymore.

Arne

Travers Naran

Not at all.

Java is pretty good at keeping compatible, so old stuff will
still work.

Java EE 6 has started clearing out the cruft. Old stuff will start to
break soon.
And Java is somewhat mature, so it is not changing so
fast anymore.

So far, it seems like it. *knocks on wood*

But as we learn more as a programming community, Java will have to
evolve to keep up.

Arne Vajhøj

Java EE 6 has started clearing out the cruft. Old stuff will start to
break soon.

Really?

AFAIK they have not removed any functionality.

They have deprecated entity beans 1.1 (from 1999) and
are saying that entity beans 2.x (from 2001) may be deprecated
in next version.

And if we assume that new Java EE specs will come out with
3 years interval then:

entity beans 1.1
invented 1999
replacement entity beans 2.x invented 2001
deprecated 2009
removed 2012

entity beans 2.x
invented 2001
replacement JPA invented 2006
deprecated 2012
removed 2015

Which is not bad. That is approx. 10 years from replacement API
shows up to they disappear.
So far, it seems like it. *knocks on wood*

But as we learn more as a programming community, Java will have to
evolve to keep up.

I don't see any evidence of fast evolving languages living
longer than slowly evolving languages.

Arne

AnAnAsbAnAnAshAkAr

can seasoned developer teach me how to study java
Thanks!

Maybe javablackbelt.com can be a guide for you. There you can do e-
coached courses and exams which are both provided by the community.
Give it a try when you were learning Java from the basics on, or even
when you will master the different Java API's.

Mike

Arne Vajhøj

????

Lisp is only standardized once.

Fortran takes at average 10 years between each new version.

Cobol about the same.

So I see them as good examples of very slow evolving and very
long living languages.

Arne

Lew

????

Lisp is only standardized once.

Fortran takes at average 10 years between each new version.

Cobol about the same.

So I see them as good examples of very slow evolving and very
long living languages.

Exactly so. We are evidencing your point. I proffered Fortran as an example
of exactly what you said.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
Exactly so. We are evidencing your point. I proffered Fortran as an
example of exactly what you said.

Yup. COBOL will live long enough to create a Y10K problem.

Travers Naran

????

Lisp is only standardized once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(programming_language)#Historically_significant_dialects

Standardized once, but hardly slowly evolving.
Fortran takes at average 10 years between each new version.

That's still pretty fast evolution for a language. The C family
(C/C++/etc.) don't seem to update as frequently as FORTRAN. You can
write programs in modern FORTRAN that don't look like anything in the
original FORTRAN.
Cobol about the same.

Slowly evolving and continuing its slow decline.

Lew

.. . .

Travers said:

Travers said:
That's still pretty fast evolution for a language. The C family (C/C++/etc.)
don't seem to update as frequently as FORTRAN.

"Don't seem"? This is a matter of objectively verifiable fact.

C: C++: Fortran:
1957
1958
1961
1966
1972
1977
1978
1985
1988
1989
1991
1995
1998
1999
2003 2003
2005
2008

[snip]

Travers said:
Slowly evolving and continuing its slow decline.

Is it declining, slowly or otherwise? Is it going away?

Travers Naran

"Don't seem"? This is a matter of objectively verifiable fact.

I wasn't saying C doesn't evolve, I was merely comparing evolution rates
to show FORTRAN is a "fast" evolving language even though it only
updates every 8-10 years.
[snip]

Travers said:
Slowly evolving and continuing its slow decline.

Is it declining, slowly or otherwise? Is it going away?

Depends on who you ask:
Declining:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/career-advice/how-interpret-cobol-statistics-944
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/print/9062478/Confessions_of_a_Cobol_programmer

Not Declining:
http://adtmag.com/blogs/watersworks/2010/07/ibm-mainframes-cobol-recruits.aspx

Arne Vajhøj

I find it difficult to see a link to a bunch of things which
mostly seems to be 10-30 years old to be an indication of
evolvement.

That's still pretty fast evolution for a language.

Not compared to Java, C# etc..
The C family
(C/C++/etc.) don't seem to update as frequently as FORTRAN.

But they do.

C: 89, 99, 1X on its way

C++: 98, 0X on its way
> You can
write programs in modern FORTRAN that don't look like anything in the
original FORTRAN.

77->90 added a lot of new features, but after 30 years it may
have been time for a major lift.
Slowly evolving and continuing its slow decline.

It is still very widely used.

Arne