how to study java

Arne Vajhøj

I wasn't saying C doesn't evolve, I was merely comparing evolution rates
to show FORTRAN is a "fast" evolving language even though it only
updates every 8-10 years.

But C and Fortran do have almost the same interval between revisions.
[snip]
Arne said:
Cobol about the same.

Travers said:
Slowly evolving and continuing its slow decline.

Is it declining, slowly or otherwise? Is it going away?

Depends on who you ask:
Declining:
http://www.infoworld.com/t/career-advice/how-interpret-cobol-statistics-944

Anybody who believes in logic like:

<quote>
* Fifteen percent of new application development is written in COBOL.
* Thirty-four percent of coding activities are in COBOL.

Put these two statistics together and you reach a fascinating inference
- it appears that COBOL coding is almost exactly half as efficient as
coding in other languages. That is, the amount of coding is double the
amount of development.
</quote>

should not chose a career in software development at all.

Anyone that can not figure out that the difference could
be due to maintenance, should chose McD.

That actually talks about a strong demand for Cobol expertise.

Arne