How to suppress final 0 with DecimalFormat?

Adam Lipscombe

Folks,

I need to output a blank if a double is 0.0;

If I use DecimalFormat to format a zero double I get a single "0" output.
i.e.

double d = 0.0;
DecimalFormat dF = new DecimalFormat("#.##");
System.out.println(dF.format(d));

gives "0".

How do I get rid of the zero?

TIA -Adam

John C. Bollinger

Adam said:
Folks,

I need to output a blank if a double is 0.0;

If I use DecimalFormat to format a zero double I get a single "0" output.
i.e.

double d = 0.0;
DecimalFormat dF = new DecimalFormat("#.##");
System.out.println(dF.format(d));

gives "0".

How do I get rid of the zero?

Write your own NumberFormat implementation: what you want is not
possible with DecimalFormat. Make your NumberFormat's parse() method
transform blanks back into zeroes, for otherwise it will be broken. Do
make sure you appreciate the implications for error detection during
parsing.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Virgil Green

Adam Lipscombe said:
Folks,

I need to output a blank if a double is 0.0;

If I use DecimalFormat to format a zero double I get a single "0" output.
i.e.

double d = 0.0;
DecimalFormat dF = new DecimalFormat("#.##");
System.out.println(dF.format(d));

gives "0".

How do I get rid of the zero?

System.out.println(d == 0 ? "" : dF.format(d));

- Virgil