how to target a frameset

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Daniel Jung, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Daniel Jung

    Daniel Jung Guest

    Hi

    Quick question:

    frameset
    frame A
    frameset
    frame B
    frame C
    /frameset
    /frameset

    I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
    document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
    it one frame, in a way. Since the frameset tag has no official name
    attribute, I guess that won't work (or validate) by using the
    a-attribute target=name. And, I would apparently be loosing the
    frames/nodes (and their names B and C) and thus wouldn't be able to
    restore the original frameset again. Unless I load a frameset into the
    space again and call its frame B and C.

    So an alternative could be to split the framesets over two documents
    from the beginning, e.g., main.html and non_A.html:

    main.html:
    frameset
    frame A
    frame non_A
    /frameset

    non_A.html:
    frameset
    frame B
    frame C
    /frameset

    But that's ugly.

    Haven't found much on this question. Thanks for pointers.

    - Daniel

    Daniel Jung, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Daniel Jung

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 3, 2005

  3. Daniel Jung

    Daniel Jung Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>frameset

    > *shudder*
    >
    >>But that's ugly.

    > Indeed. So don't use it.

    "Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
    but ultimately that decision is up to you."
    (http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

    I agree on the first part - for standard internet
    web pages. Which this isn't. I very much agree on
    the second part.

    And my question was if you knew about any resources
    out there discussing this particular issue (not
    frames as such). Not if you like frames or not.

    - Daniel

    Daniel Jung, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Daniel Jung

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <> said:

    > "Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
    > but ultimately that decision is up to you."
    > (http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

    Hey, someone actually read that. I'm impressed. :)

    > I agree on the first part - for standard internet
    > web pages. Which this isn't.

    Then you should have said so. Unless you tell us otherwise, we have to
    assume that your site is a standard www site. If it is for an intranet
    or similar, you need to tell us that. IIRC It used to say that on the
    alt.html general info site, but the site has disappeared. :-(

    > And my question was if you knew about any resources
    > out there discussing this particular issue (not
    > frames as such).

    Ah, but this is Usenet. Your question getting answered is peripheral to
    the discussion. :)

    > Not if you like frames or not.

    I was in a hurry, otherwise I may have written a slightly longer answer.
    Perhaps even addressed your question. But I'm still in a hurry, so that
    will have to wait. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Daniel Jung

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <> said:

    > frameset
    > frame A
    > frameset
    > frame B
    > frame C
    > /frameset
    > /frameset
    >
    > I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
    > document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
    > it one frame, in a way.

    I've been thinking about this all day, and I can't see any nice way of
    making this work. The best solution IMHO (other than dropping the frames
    altogether of course) would be to create 2 completely separate pages
    with the relevant "layout" in the frameset. So you'd have index.html as
    above, then where you want to replace B and C with one frame, have
    index2.html (or whatever), which contains:

    <frameset>
    <frame A>
    <frame D>
    </frameset>

    Link to it using target="_top". Same when linking back to your main page
    from this one.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 4, 2005
  6. In article <42f13631$>, Daniel Jung ()
    dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Hi
    >
    > Quick question:
    >
    > frameset
    > frame A
    > frameset
    > frame B
    > frame C
    > /frameset
    > /frameset
    >
    > I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
    > document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
    > it one frame, in a way.

    Won't happen. Frames just don't work that way.

    --
    Noodles Jefferson
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days, bribery and corruption
    are common, children no longer obey their parents and the end of the
    world is evidently approaching."
    --Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.

    Noodles Jefferson, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Daniel Jung

    jake Guest

    In message <42f13631$>, Daniel Jung <>
    writes
    >Hi
    >
    >Quick question:
    >
    >frameset
    > frame A
    > frameset
    > frame B
    > frame C
    > /frameset
    >/frameset
    >
    >I want the second frameset to be overwritten with a document (i.e., the
    >document expand over the space frame B and frame C occupy) thus making
    >it one frame, in a way. Since the frameset tag has no official name
    >attribute, I guess that won't work (or validate) by using the
    >a-attribute target=name. And, I would apparently be loosing the
    >frames/nodes (and their names B and C) and thus wouldn't be able to
    >restore the original frameset again. Unless I load a frameset into the
    >space again and call its frame B and C.
    >
    >So an alternative could be to split the framesets over two documents
    >from the beginning, e.g., main.html and non_A.html:
    >
    >main.html:
    >frameset
    > frame A
    > frame non_A
    >/frameset
    >
    >non_A.html:
    >frameset
    > frame B
    > frame C
    >/frameset
    >
    >But that's ugly.
    >
    >Haven't found much on this question. Thanks for pointers.
    >
    >- Daniel

    As someone has already pointed out: that's not the way frames work.

    Without knowing anything about your application (and we would really
    need to know how you'd want the application to work) it would seem that
    you'd have to have two individual frameset pages.

    Without knowing how it's supposed to work makes it difficult to comment
    further.

    regards.
    --
    Jake
    ( .... just a spam trap.)

    jake, Aug 4, 2005
  8. Daniel Jung

    jake Guest

    In message <18tknwbekwfxe$>, Mark Parnell
    <> writes
    >Previously in alt.html, Daniel Jung <> said:
    >
    >> "Personally, I don't think it is worth the effort,
    >> but ultimately that decision is up to you."
    >> (http://markparnell.com.au/articles/frames.php)

    >Hey, someone actually read that. I'm impressed. :)

    Interesting, but seems too much like propaganda from the frames-are-evil
    collective ;-)

    [snip]
    --
    Jake