How to Test GUI Apps for many Python X GUI toolkits

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Summerfield, Jun 3, 2012.

  1. Hi,

    There are many options for writing desktop GUI applications with
    Python and I'd like to explore some of them. However, to do this I
    need to be able to test various Python 3.x X GUI toolkit y.z
    combinations.

    With PyQt4 this is easy. (Example given at the end.)

    I'd like to be able to do the same with other Python GUI toolkits.

    - For PyGObject (PyGtk's successor) it seems that you have to do a
    local build of Gtk+ and the PyGObject. I've tried and failed on this.
    (And even if I'd succeeded, I don't see how to do this for local
    Pythons.)

    - I haven't tried this for wxPython (& anyway they don't seem to have
    a Python 3 version).

    - I've also failed to do this for Tcl/Tk (as per my posting "Use a
    locally built Tk for Python?". It is easy to build local versions of
    Tcl/Tk using --prefix; but I don't see how to make the Python build
    process use a locally built Tcl/Tk.

    - I haven't tried this for PySide.

    Has anyone else succeeded for any of these? Surely they must have;
    otherwise how could they test their PyGObject/wxPython/Tkinter
    applications?

    I'd appreciate suggestions/links.

    Thanks!

    Example: build two Python 3.2s one with Qt 4.7 and one with Qt 4.8:

    - Build local pythons, e.g.,
    ./configure --prefix=/home/me/opt/py32qt47
    ./configure --prefix=/home/me/opt/py32qt48
    - Build local Qts, e.g.,
    ./configure --prefix=/home/me/opt/qt47
    ./configure --prefix=/home/me/opt/qt48
    - Build PyQts specifying which Python & Qt to use, e.g.,
    /home/me/opt/py32qt47/bin/python3 configure.py --qmake=/home/me/opt/
    qt47/bin/qmake
    /home/me/opt/py32qt48/bin/python3 configure.py --qmake=/home/me/opt/
    qt48/bin/qmake

    This makes it easy to test PyQt GUI applications. And, of course, if a
    user reports a problem with some other combination, it is easy (if
    time consuming) to create a matching combination to test.

    Mark Summerfield, Jun 3, 2012