    Are there generic tools available for such testing, or are
    these kinds of things specific to the vendor or library?

    Rune
    Rune Allnor, Mar 10, 2010

  2. Rune Allnor

    Ralph Malph Guest

    Rune Allnor wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > I am a bit frustrated as I find myself 'entrapped' in a GUI library,
    > in the sense that I have to use the components and data structures
    > provided by the library, but apparently with no means for testing the
    > GUI part of the application. I am in particular in need for a way to
    > test computations on items belonging in a graphical setting, that
    > would require me to duplicate a lot of the GUI library's
    > functionality
    > if I were to test it with e.g. Boost.Test.
    >
    > What are the common strategies for testing GUIs?
    > Are there generic tools available for such testing, or are
    > these kinds of things specific to the vendor or library?

    Most Functional QA testing of GUIs is done with a
    tool like Silk Test
    http://www.borland.com/us/products/silk/silktest/index.html
    There are a few competitors to Silk Test as well.
    None of the ones I know of are free is that is a
    concern. Well, actually, I do know of the Java Robot
    class
    http://www.developer.com/java/other...roduction-to-the-Java-Robot-Class-in-Java.htm
    If you feel like starting from scratch.
    This is clearly something I am not an expert in but
    have done enough to give you a few pointers.
    Hope that helps!
    Ralph Malph, Mar 10, 2010