  1. Is there a way to test SSL using my local IIS without having to pay $1000/yr
    for an SSL certificate?

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob R. Ainscough, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Rob R. Ainscough

    Sean M Guest

    Don't some of the commercial certificate providers dole out free "test
    certificates" that can be used for exactly this purpose?

    -- Sean M

    Sean M, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Free? Can the single certificate be used on multiple servers -- (i.e. my
    local SQL Server home/work, our testing intranet server, and our testing
    internet server)?

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob R. Ainscough, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Rob R. Ainscough

    Sean M Guest

    Trial certificates can be obtained from:

    Thawte: http://www.thawte.com/ucgi/gothawte.cgi?a=w34440158357049000
    Verisign:
    https://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/cl...toc=w44680044675191002&ra=198.103.53.5&email=

    ... and I'm willing to bet other providers can do the same.

    Since this is for test purposes, it really shouldn't matter which of these
    you decide to go with. As for SQL Server, I don't think the web certificates
    can be repurposed for other applications.

    Sean M, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Hello Rob,

    SSL certificates are bound to a specific DNS name - so it can (realisticaly)
    only be used on a single machine.

    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jun 28, 2005
  6. Hello Rob,

    the .net framework includes a tool called "makecert.exe" which can be used
    to generate test-purpose certificates.

    another option would be to install a CA - as included in w2k3 server editions.

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jun 28, 2005