How to test SSL on my local IIS?

Rob R. Ainscough

Is there a way to test SSL using my local IIS without having to pay $1000/yr
for an SSL certificate?

Thanks, Rob.

Sean M

Don't some of the commercial certificate providers dole out free "test
certificates" that can be used for exactly this purpose?

-- Sean M

Rob R. Ainscough

Free? Can the single certificate be used on multiple servers -- (i.e. my
local SQL Server home/work, our testing intranet server, and our testing
internet server)?

Thanks, Rob.

Sean M

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Rob,

SSL certificates are bound to a specific DNS name - so it can (realisticaly)
only be used on a single machine.

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Rob,

the .net framework includes a tool called "makecert.exe" which can be used
to generate test-purpose certificates.

another option would be to install a CA - as included in w2k3 server editions.